Uptown and downtown

Pablo   Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:08 pm GMT
Some places have an uptown instead of a downtown, and some have both. The Manhattan borough of NYC has a downtown, midtown, and uptown, though there they are all defined by geography. Downtown and midtown would both qualify as financial or business disctricts (both are separated by a few miles and have many skyscrapers). Though there are also highrises in "uptown" or northern Manhattan, it is much more a resaidential area. My hometown of Boston, MA only has a downtown, though it is not truly near the center of the city these days ( it is actually the northern part of the city of Boston, but the center of the entire metro area). Where I live now, Columbus, Ohio has a downtown (it IS in the center of this city and is the business district) but a suburb called Westerville (about 35,000 people) has a central business area called 'uptown" and NO downtown.
from OHIO   Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:08 pm GMT
<<<Ever heard of the song "Uptown girl" by Bill Joel>>
Maybe he meant the upper part of the town, like on top of a hill.
However, I have never heard of uptown.
Guest   Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:49 am GMT
I noticed that the usage of the term 'uptown' refers to Cities along a river or coastline. Back in the early settlement years in the New World 'up river' was replaced with 'up town' as the settlement grew along the bank/coast.