"Si" languages and "oil" languages

Guest   Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:35 am GMT
LAA,

"In French, "si" is used in response to a negative question. So yes, of course I knew that. And before you insult my intelligence, consider whether you knew as much as I do at the age of 16. I have a casual interest in linguistics, but it is not my forte. I am more into history and political economy, political science, etc."

not only in response to a negative response but also to a condition, like "if" in english.

Si tu n'es pas là à 5h00, j'attendrais encore 10 minutes.
If you are not here at 5 pm, so i will wait 10 minutes more.

So as you can see, your knowledge is limited.
Guest   Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:00 am GMT
>>"Comme on dit en Français; les voyages forment la jeunesse..."
"Like one says in French, the voyages FORM the young"??<<

Yes, literally, but in English something like the following would be more appropriate:
"As we say in French, experiences shape us as we grow."
Sander   Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:41 am GMT
>>So as you can see, your knowledge is limited. <<

Everyones knowledge is limited, yours is also quite limited when I look at the syntax of your English translation of the French sentence.

Just for the record, LAA was right.

He said, "In French, "si" is used in response to a negative question.", which like you said is correct. Eventhough the use of "si" isn't limited to this, the these itself it of course correct.
Guest   Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:12 pm GMT
"Everyones knowledge is limited, yours is also quite limited when I look at the syntax of your English translation of the French sentence. "
You're right, everyones knowledge is limited, especially when i see your english.
LAA   Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:18 pm GMT
Why must everybody be so hostile towards each other, like a bunch of ravenous wolves? Take it easy you guys, and enjoy the discussion.