English vs. other West Germanic languages

Benjamin   Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:15 am GMT
« Yeah, I suppose you would have to be a teenager to understand. »

I'm 17.
LAA   Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:43 am GMT
Wow, more and more posters are turing out to be rather young.

You're 17, and you don't care about girls???? Are you crazy man? I find that hard to believe.
Sander   Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:05 am GMT
You know LAA, the thing with the internet - and especially this forum - is that you can pretend to be anyone.
guest   Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:10 am GMT
<<sla het vat maar aan>>

means: "strike the barrel once more"

to translate it etymologically, word for word:
"slay the vat more one (once more)"

The reason why comparing English to Dutch/German vs. English to Romance seems to point in favor of a Romance association is due to the fact that the parnets of English and Dutch/German diverged some 2500-3000 years ago, and have had basically no contact since that time. French has had contact with English within the past 1000 years, so of course it looks more similar and has a greater resemblance. This comparison, however, cannot be used to draw any conclusion as to which language group English is more akin to. Even though English has drifted far from Dutch/German, that does not make it any less Teutonic (I hate the term "germanic" because it implies that German is somehow the standard by which to measure all teutonic languages, which it is not. German itself has drifted from its parent teutonic language, albeit in a different direction, just as English has.)

In time, English and Romance will begin to show greater divergence as well.
guest   Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:12 am GMT
self-correction:

<<to translate it etymologically, word for word:
"slay the vat more one (once more)" >>

I should have written:
"slay it vat more one (once more)"
guest   Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:40 am GMT
The resemblance of English to Romance is therefore only cosmetic, it isn't real. It's skin deep.
Karen   Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:22 am GMT
-- Even though English has drifted far from Dutch/German--

In fact. Dutch and German resemble each other way more than English does to one of them, especially compared to their complex grammar since English developed to a more analytic language.

--that does not make it any less Teutonic (I hate the term "germanic" because it implies that German is somehow the standard--

you have to be careful with this term also, since 'teutonic' means everything related to Germany in most english-speaking countries. The German word for its country or language even shows that it is related to it: deutsch -> teutonic. In earlier times it even used to be the german term 'teutsc'.
Guest   Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:21 pm GMT
<<sla het vat maar aan>>

translation:
Extract (draw out) the keg more/ Extract (draw out) more [from] the keg.

aanslaan here means "to draw out"
Guest   Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
-aanslaan here means "to draw out"-

Is this word related with German "anschlagen"?
Guest   Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:26 pm GMT
<<Is this word related with German "anschlagen"? >>

Etymologically, yes, it is.

aan- + slaan; an- + schlagen

Dutch aan = German an (English on)
Dutch slaan = German schlagen (English slay)

German anschlagen = "strike, hit" usually

Although Dutch slaan means "strike", in aanslaan it no longer carries this connotation. Aanslaan can mean "levy tax; extract; rally; blur/blind/dim; bounce; alert"
Gorre.   Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:17 pm GMT
Sla het vat maar aan = literally "hit the keg", or "tap the keg" as it's actually meaning.