The inferiority of Romance vocabulary

JR   Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:36 am GMT
Yes, but I would not say that Romance vocabulary is inferior. However I do like the fact that because English has a Germanic word for one thing, and a Latin-based word for the same thing, these sometimes take different meanings.

What I mean is, for example, the word dark. Dark is usually used to describe something with little light. A dark room, a dark alley, etc. In Spanish, the word would be oscuro. Translated back to English, this means obscure. When we use obscure in English, while it can mean the same thing as dark, it usually means it's unclear, mysterious, or hiding something.

That means that it can also take on a whole new meaning. If you use obscure to mean mysterious, you can't translate it back to Spanish in most cases as oscuro. You'd have to use misterioso.
LAA   Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:47 am GMT
Right, and that's an excellent example. But, that also proves my point. English has both the Germanic option, and usually, several options that are Latin-based loans. This adds to the total available words from which to choose in English. There is more of a limit placed on your choice of words in Romance languages, well, at least in Spanish. At first, I attributed this to my limited vocabulary. But, the answer lies in the fact that in many cases, there are less words in Spanish to convey a thought, than there in English. And in many cases, one word is forced to take on several meanings.
Tiffany   Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:13 am GMT
What about other Germanic languages. English does have a huge vocabulary compared to most other langauges, I believe. By your own definition, it's not only Romance languages that have "inferior" vocabulary then.
LAA   Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:19 am GMT
That could very well be true. All the more reason to love English!
Tiffany   Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 am GMT
That I do ;)
greg   Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:53 am GMT
LAA : tu négliges des points importants.

L'emprunt au médiolatin n'est pas l'apanage des langues germaniques puisqu'il existe des doublets latin/latin dans toutes les langues romanes.

Les mots ne sont pas les seuls outils pour désigner des concepts : les groupes de mots (locutions) sont très efficaces aussi (et très productifs d'ailleurs).
greg   Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:00 am GMT
« Right, and that's an *excellent* *example*. But, that also *proves* my *point*. English has both the *Germanic* *option*, and *usually*, *several* *options* that are *Latin*-*based* loans. This *adds* to the *total* *available* words from which to choose in English. There is more of a *limit* *placed* on your *choice* of words in *Romance* *languages*, well, at least in *Spanish*. At first, I *attributed* this to my *limited* *vocabulary*. But, the answer lies in the *fact* that in many *cases*, there are less words in *Spanish* to *convey* a thought, than there in English. And in many *cases*, one word is *forced* to take on *several* meanings. »

Travaux pratiques pour LAA : démontrer que l'anglais possède effectivement la possibilité d'alterner entre étymons latins et étymons germaniques par substitution des mots *entre deux étoiles* — en évitant, autant que faire se peut, toute altération du sémantisme véhiculé originellement.

Bonne chance !
LAA   Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:19 am GMT
Greg,
Are you saying that the stars represent Latin origin?
greg   Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:36 am GMT
On dirait, oui...
NO NAME   Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:32 am GMT
IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN VOCABULARY AND STEAL FROM OTHER LANGUAGES IT WILL DEFINITELY ENLARGE YOUR BULK. THAT IS WHAT ENGLISH HAS DONE. ENGLISH HAS BORROWED THOUSANDS OF WORDS FROM THE ROMANCE LANGUAGES INCLUDING FRENCH, SPANISH, ITALIAN & SOME PORTUGUESE. IT HAS ALSO BORROWED FROM NON ROMANIC LANGUAGES. I WOULD SAY THERE ARE MORE BORROWED WORDS THAN ORIGINAL WORDS IN ENGLISH.

here is a list
http://www.krysstal.com/borrow.html
Aldvs   Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:55 am GMT
I think that this is another reason that I had not thought about the success of English worldwide. If in the past Romance languages like French were popular add to it a simpler grammar. I still keep my opinion that English success is not only due to "superpowers". Those "loans" have given good sound to English too and somehow makes me think in my own Romance language.
no name   Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:13 am GMT
For all who brag..The vocabulary of English is about 80% BORROWED! and most comes from the romance languages that you say are infirior.. look it up!
JR   Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
No one here is saying that Romance languages are inferior. We all realize that the majority of English is borrowed.

LAA,
The Germanic option is not always there though. Sometimes the borrowed word is the only word or similar word that there is for a certain thing. For example, Greg has kindly highlighted which of the words in your message are of Romance origin (althought the word 'in' is arguably of Romance origin as well). I challange you to find a Germanic synonym for each of them. I do not think you will be able to find an exact match for all of them, or even a similar one. (By similar, I mean using something like 'good' as a substitute for 'excellent')