Wellcome vs welcome

-   Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:51 pm GMT
Which is standard english? Which is american and which is british english? I saw a british website writing wellcome. Although i learn british english, I have never been taught "wellcome".
Rene   Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:55 pm GMT
As an American, I've never seen it either. Maybe it's a typo.
Guest   Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:17 pm GMT
Perhaps you're referring to the Wellcome Trust, a UK-based charity funding medical research all over the world.
Lazar   Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:57 pm GMT
What Guest said. The word "welcome" (adjective, common noun, verb, exclamation, etc) is always spelled with one L in both British and American English.
Adam   Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:41 am GMT
<As an American, I've never seen it either. Maybe it's a typo.>

mmmm yeah and I suppose you would say that about British English (correct English) you little yankee twat.

Typical Americans pfft. I see it's got to your heads abit too often.
I hate Adam   Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:59 am GMT
I've only ever seen Adam use "wellcome" with his correct English.
-   Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:32 am GMT
But some places and websites uses wellcome, I am sure you have seen it spelt that way before, therefore i am sure it is not a typo.
So from what I have gathered so far, "welcome" is the ONLY standard form in both american and british english.
Uriel   Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:38 am GMT
Welcome is the normal spelling in any variant of English.
Guest   Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:23 pm GMT
I have never heard of wellcome being used in Britain.
-   Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:26 am GMT
maybe wellcome is just a slang.
Nightingale   Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:16 am GMT
"Welcome" is the regular word, but "Wellcome" is a NAME.

The 2nd largest supermarket chain in Taiwan and Hong Kong is "Wellcome" with two L's. As someone pointed out above, the UK's "Wellcome Trust" is also spelt with two L's.

"Wellcome" is not a typo, unless you substitute it for "welcome".