help little with my first name

kaipin   Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
Hi
Everybody,i am new here.and i am Chinese.Actually i just wondering if you could bother to come up a English name for me .
Black hair , brown eyes,(peter may too normal) ,and pretty cautious,understand humor,not brave enough sometimes,emotional,have own opion to things,sometimes too much hesitation,daydreams also occur. :-)
SO,that is my more or less personality.But i don't know what name suit me most.It seems to me that there are lots storys behind them
Appreciate you attention
amy   Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:46 pm GMT
Hello
Well, after I've read the description of yourself, the first name that came to my mind was Lucy.
Tiffany   Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
Many Chinese people seem to pick names that sound like thier existing name. Perhaps "Kyle" if you are a boy (I take it you are from the "Peter" comment).

Ultimately I'd say just pick a name you like and stick with it. Sure, if you want to call yourself "Pink" it might not suit you is you are a conservative, but hey, you know yourself best.
amy   Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:54 pm GMT
Oh. Sorry. I somehow thought you were a girl...
kaipin   Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:36 am GMT
oh,Lucy! Anyway,thank you for Amy and Tiffany.
May be you don't know me ,but when I stand in the crucial situation,for instance, chaos caused by incident, I really always find my self "leader".But in the tranquil state,I am not be able have the courage to let people focus on me. Deeply deeply down,I have a strong urge to distinguish myself from others.
I will work best to be a trully man.Anyway,long way ahead me .
Thanks again
Uriel   Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:13 am GMT
Here's a site that will let you either search for names by meaning, or vice-versa:

http://www.parenthood.com/babynames.html

Just type in the meaning you are looking for, and it will give you some names that match.
kaipin   Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:08 am GMT
really practical information
Rui   Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 pm GMT
Why do you want an English name? Kaipin sounds well to me, as good as Peter, Michael, Jack or whatever.
eito(jpn)   Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:06 pm GMT
A few years ago, I heard that having an English name was popular among yung peeple in China. And still now? If so, I wunder why.
Fredrik from Norway   Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:16 pm GMT
Why not Frederick!? Then we can be brothers-in-name!
:-)
Nightingale   Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:18 pm GMT
To Eito:

Well, I don't know about it being a "popular trend", but I have noticed that it's considered normal - at least amongst overseas Chinese - to choose an English name that's separate from their Chinese name. This stands in contrast to overseas Japanese.

For example, I was an exchange student in California once. Many of the students I met there were overseas Asians.

The Chinese I met had names like:
Grace Chen (Chen Zhiyun)
Lucy Peng (Peng Xin)
Richard Zhang (Zhang Fei)

Versus, for the Japanese:
Yosuke Murakami (Murakami Yosuke)
Ayumi Saito (Saito Ayumi)

Now, all of these people were either born in the US or immigrated there when they were very young... but you notice how the Chinese kids got separate English and Chinese names whereas the Japanese used Japanese names in both languages? I don't know whether it's a "popularity" thing, but it's simply an overseas cultural norm, I guess...
Nightingale   Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:30 pm GMT
In other words, if you're a Chinese person living overseas, people (ESPECIALLY other overseas Chinese) pretty much expect you to have an English name.

But if you're an overseas Japanese or Indian, then it's normal to keep and use the name in your native language.

Why? I don't know.