The origin of the French uvular "R"

fab   Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:20 pm GMT
As I previously said in one of these topics, the uvular "r" in French is a recent evolution of the prononciation, it dates backs in the 2 lasts centuries. So it is clearly not of celtic or Germanic origins.

This prononciation has known a wide spread in the 19th and 20th centuries; When France had recieved a lot of imigration from Italy, Spain, Portugal and central Europe. If it has a foreign origin we would have more chance to find it there.

Anyway, the prononciation of these sounds "r", rolled or uvular doesn't have any importance. One can speak French with rolled "r", it still be french. even nowaday you can find native french speakers who roll the "r".

The same way for the "nasal" sounds likes "en", "in", "on", etc. It is not necessary to prononce them "nalized". A lot of regional accents doesn't.
LAA   Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:41 pm GMT
Well, whenever I am speaking a foreign language, I always do my utmost to pronounce it as well as I can, out of respect for that language, even if it is an ugly one.

That uvular "r" in French sounds very "un-Romance" - like to English speakers.

But I don't see how a uvular "r" is easier to pronounce than a rolled 'r'. On the contrary, I find it much easier to roll my "r"s than to pronounce an uvular "r".
Fredrik from Norway   Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:26 am GMT
That's just because you have learnt it that way, LAA. Remember, that uvular r occurs as a speech error in children in environments with rolled r, but never the other way around, as far as I know!
a.p.a.m.   Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:45 pm GMT
French doesn't have many word endings in written form but when you pronounce the word in French, the word has a vowel sound. That is because, in many cases, French words ending in a consonant are silent.
Giorgio   Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:05 pm GMT
Dumbasses, if they could only learn to overcome their nastalgia. I learned to, and all my french word endings are pronnounced.
Guest   Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:06 pm GMT
Ok, ok Georgey,Giorgio you win, what's the matter with your "NASTALGIA", tell us please.
LAA   Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:16 am GMT
So, Fab, you're saying that I won't seem out of place if I speak French with a "rolled r"? In a way, I kind of like the uvular r and nasal vowels of French. It gives it a distinct flavor within the Latin family. But, using a rolled "r" when speaking French will make things a lot easier for me.....