Globalisation - EU backs European driving licence

Uriel   Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:56 am GMT
<<To pass a driving test in the UK you have to learn the metric system imposed by the EU regulations.

The DVLA’s UK governmental theory test is in METRES!!!

If you don’t respond correctly you FAIL ! >>

Uh ... I'm assuming even the British can multiply by three.
Guest   Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:36 am GMT
Guest   Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:50 am GMT
shamed again   Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
The UK has been slow to develop its infrastructure during the Twentieth Century, leaving us with the worst developed and maintained road system in the industrialised world, the worst and most expensive public transport system in western Europe, and a railway system that is rapidly falling behind as competitor countries construct new dedicated high speed rail links.

http://shamedagain.blogspot.com/
greg   Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:46 pm GMT
Damian in lodon N2 : « We'd have to move our steering wheels over to the other side. Och no!.....i would ne'er do...no way! ».
Les Suédois l'ont bien fait ! Pourquoi pas les Écossais ?

Adam : « (...) the clever the British (needless to say) (...) ».
T'as raison : ça va sans dire. Mais comme tu l'as fort opportunément prouvé, ça va toujours bien mieux en le disant...
Guest   Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:20 pm GMT
Whats the biggie about driving on the 'wrong side' of the road? I myself from another lefthand driving nation (New Zealand) see no problem adjusting to the righthand side when visiting another country.

Except when I get the stupid indicators mixed up with the window wipers.

I don't see the point of why the British should change over to the right since they are not connected to the mainland except via the Channel Rail line. Sweden on the other hand had to sooner or later since they were bordering on both sides by righthand drivers - Norway and Finland.

About Britain's roads - I myself would believe that Britain's road system is excellent except it cannot cope with the increasing number of traffic. Simply as all countries exprience demand exceeds supply. If Britain wanted to ensure that the supply meets the demand soon Britain would just be one chuck of tar slowly sinking into the sea from the intense weight.

But I see the point of their government investing more into public transport especially what I noticed with their railways and tube system in London. I once came across a programme of the great rail line from London to Glasgow - an excellent example of British public transportation.
Guest   Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:24 pm GMT
Another this theory that lefthand drivers are safer than righthand drivers? I myself find it easier to control the wheel with my right hand as I'm righthanded as oppose to using my left. (I give Adam credit - but don't get to jumpy about it Adam eh)
ripp-off Britain   Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:45 am GMT
the tube (metro) in London costs 3 UK pounds on weekends (one way ticket) 3 UK pounds is 4,50 euros or 5,40 $

why pay 4,50 euros ( one way ) in London when in Paris and other EU capitals the one way ticket is 1,50 euros ?

4,50 euro in UK is 3 times more expensive than Europe's 1.50 euro !!!!

British people are being ripped-off !
Guest   Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:19 am GMT
I once came across a programme when a bunch of tourists were even complaining that a Big Mac combo cost 9 pounds. Wow that was like 5 years ago with inflation imagine what the price is now. OMG a wonderful place to visit but living standards are simply too high for me to live there.
Guest   Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:42 pm GMT
"but living standards are simply too high for me to live there."

you mean standard too low ! because that is what you say when the purchasing power is low and the prices are very high...

"why pay 4,50 euros ( one way ) in London when in Paris and other EU capitals the one way ticket is 1,50 euros ? "
Damian in London E16   Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:21 pm GMT
***Les Suédois l'ont bien fait ! Pourquoi pas les Écossais ?***

Bonjour, M Greg! I did a swift bit of research.....yes, I saw that Sweden switched from left to right hand driing in Sept 1967! Nearly 40 years ago. No way could Sweden 1967 be compared with UK 2006 in terms of population, road traffic volumes and consequent congestion and very complex road networks. They are worlds apart in those terms and it would be a logistical nightmare to even contemplate such a transition in the UK...it would be mega mega chaotic in extremis.

So no chance!......non! non! non!....c'est trop difficile! ..... and anyway, as someone has already mentioned, why should Britain make such a change? Unlike Sweden 67, UK 06, being an island, has no common land borders.

Talking about expense......I have to say that London is mega expensive! It's a bummer...everything seems to be twice as costly as they are back home in Edinburgh, and the tube fares are astronomical - the period saver tickets do give some relief though. I'm working down here in London until October and it's just as well that I receive an appreciable and very welcome London Weighting Allowance added to my salary to meet the extra costs of living in London.

However expensive London is......it's one mega, mega funtime city and I love it! The only downside is that I'm missed the Cavalcade (yesterday Sunday) and will miss the Festival and all the Fringe events back home in (less expensive) Edinburgh, my own funtime city. Can't have it all ways.

Now....off to battle through the crush on the DLR and Northern Lines....that can have its fun side too!....:-) Cheers!