Strine , australian english

teddy6424   Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:35 pm GMT
What is "strine" how is "strine" so diferent of american , canadian or british english?
Uriel   Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:21 pm GMT
"Strine" is how you pronounce "Australian" if you are one....so many syllables, so little time.

It's different from American, Canadian, or British English in that Americans, Canadians, and the British can't understand it ;) -- it's Australian dialect, full of unique pronunciations and idioms.
Lazar   Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:34 pm GMT
It has an interesting vowel system. Compared to RP, just off the top of my head, I know that [V] becomes [a], [E] becomes [e], and [Q] becomes [O].
Jenny   Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:34 am GMT
"It has an interesting vowel system. Compared to RP, just off the top of my head, I know that [V] becomes [a], [E] becomes [e], and [Q] becomes [O]. "

Lazar, from my understanding, [V] is more so American or non-Australian in any case.

Being a speaker of general Australian English, [E] and [e] are allophones, as are [Q] and [O] in my accent, while [e] seems to be the preferred the pronunciation in Strine.
Aussie Fisher   Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:46 am GMT
<<It has an interesting vowel system. Compared to RP, just off the top of my head, I know that [V] becomes [a], [E] becomes [e], and [Q] becomes [O].>>

Also, [O:] as in ''caught'' becomes [o:].
Frances   Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:08 am GMT
Uriel is right, words tend to fuse together and create one big word! And generally, its only Aussies that understand it.