similarities between spanish and portuguese

JGreco   Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:53 am GMT
Since there are other topics about different language similarities i've decided to post this one to celebrate the diffrerences and similarities between spanish (castellano) and portuguese. My question is If there are words that may be a norm in one language but hardly used in another? Example like the word "cachorro" or "cao" in portuguese. A castellano speaking person word recognize these words because in their bank of words they use they recognize that these words are similar to "can" or "cachorro" in spanish but of course the norm to use would be "perro". But what about other words such as "achar" (to find) or " desenvolva" (develope). Are there spanish equivalents to those words similar to these spellings that would tell a person that thats what it means. Are the word banks of obscure words in each language big enough to make intelligability grater?
Sergio   Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:07 pm GMT
Hi JGreco,

>But what about other words such as "achar" (to find) or " desenvolva" (develope).
Achar > Hallar (synonym of "encontrar"; in Spanish there is an alternative form to say "creo que es difícil"> "acho que é difícil": "lo encuentro difícil". Nonetheless this is rather a literary form, which everybody understand but nobody would use. But at the end, the answer for this word is "yes", the majority of Spanish speakers would understand the meaning of "achar".

Desenvolva> Desenvolver, in Sp frequently (not always, though) synonym of Desarrollar. But since the idea is there, I think the answer would be "Yes" again.
Paulistana   Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:07 pm GMT
it's easier for me to understand spoken spanish than spoken continental portuguese.
Lucas   Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
" it's easier for me to understand spoken spanish than spoken continental portuguese "
Maybe because you are Spanish and not Brazilian
Gringo   Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:26 pm GMT
JGreco

««Example like the word "cachorro" or "cao" in portuguese. A castellano speaking person word recognize these words because in their bank of words they use they recognize that these words are similar to "can" or "cachorro" in spanish but of course the norm to use would be "perro". »»

"Perro" is also a Portuguese word, an old one. I don't think the big majority of EuPortuguese speakers would know it. The other meaning of "perro" is stiff (lacking ease of movement), and is the one that would be associated to the word.

««A castellano speaking person word recognize these words because in their bank of words »»

Exactly, a native speaker that has a big bank of words!! That is why EuPortuguese speakers do not speak Portunhol with non native speakers of Castilian. Non natives do not have this ability of relating words and a vast vocabulary like you have.

Sergio

««in Spanish there is an alternative form to say "creo que es difícil"> »»
in Portuguese would be "creio que é difícil".

If a Portuguese was speaking with a native Castilian speaker and he was not being understood he would do exactly this, he would try another word with the same meaning until he could find one that could be understood. If he could not find one he would try to explain in other words. Castilian speakers do the same. The thing is, as you know, it does not always work.
Jo   Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:51 pm GMT
«it's easier for me to understand spoken spanish than spoken continental portuguese. Paulistana.»

I can tell you that the Portuguese understand BrPortuguese without a problem.
Does Lula have the same problem as you Paulistana? When he receives state visitors, like the Prime Minister of Portugal, you figure they speak in Spanish? Scolari doesn't seem to have your problem, he understood Continental Portuguese from day one.
Gringo   Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:11 pm GMT
«it's easier for me to understand spoken spanish than spoken continental portuguese. Paulistana.»

Spanish speakers say this all the time.

i just repeat what Lucas said:

"Maybe because you are Spanish and not Brazilian "

««Does Lula have the same problem as you Paulistana? »»

Lula we all know he is Brazilian but Paulistana did not say she was Brazilian did she ?
Mercosul   Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:31 pm GMT
But Lula speaks Brazilian Portuguese with Chavez and other presidents of Southern American countries and they reply in Spanish. No problems in understanding. This makes Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish one language or two dialects of one Latinamerican language. Long live the union
lorenna.m@uol.com.br   Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
''A castellano speaking person word recognize these words because in their bank of words they use they recognize that these words are similar to "can" or "cachorro" in spanish but of course the norm to use would be "perro". But what about other words such as "achar" (to find) or " desenvolva" (develope)''

Cão means ''devil'' in Brazilian Portuguese.
It's an obscene word.
''dog'' is said Cachorro.

In zoology, the term ''cão'' is still used, but it is not a word common in everyday language (because it is used only with the meaning of ''devil'')

''Hot dog''is ''Cachorro quente''
CÃO QUENTE would be a ''hot devil'' [risos]
Gringo   Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:39 pm GMT
««Cão means ''devil'' in Brazilian Portuguese.
It's an obscene word.
''dog'' is said Cachorro.»»

It depends of which region of Brazil you are talking about (remember Brazil is a big country).

Cão is also used in Brazil just google it and you will find that "cão" is also a dog.

««It's an obscene word»»

Haha maybe in your town, not in the rest of Brazil. Since when devil is an obscene word?

In EuPortuguese cachorro is a puppy, a lion cub, a wolf cub; but most people only use it to call baby dogs.

In Brazilian Portuguese "cachorro" is a grown up dog, at least in some regions. But "cão" is also used.

''Hot dog'' is ''Cachorro quente'' also in EuPortuguese.

Other hardly used words for dog in EuPortuguese:cabiri, can, canaz, perro.
Jo   Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 pm GMT
Cães e gatos gives us over 2.500.000 on google.
Viver como cão e gato é uma expressão tambem usada no Brasil.
Ainda há 'canil' onde supostamente vive um cão.
A palavra cachoril não encontrei.
Mesmo assim 'fazer uma cachorrada' é bem Brasileiro.
Petstore   Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:53 am GMT
in Brazilian scientific use:

CÃES E GATOS = Dogs and Cats
CAMUNDONGOS E RATOS = Mice and Rats
JGreco   Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:59 am GMT
I just realized that Cachorro in Castellano (American) litterally means "puppy". Also I was wondering in spanish if there a equivalent to the Br.Portuguese word "assistir" literally meaning to watch as in watching television. In Castellano the word "ver" is used instead. Also I noticed that in Portuguese they use "banana" but in Castellano (american) the word "guineo" is used instead.
Gringo   Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:52 am GMT
««the Br.Portuguese word "assistir" literally meaning to watch as in watching television.»»

I do not know what you mean by BrPortuguese word. A word only used in Brazil?

It is also European Portuguese and African Portuguese. " ver ou assistir a um programa de televisão”.

««Also I noticed that in Portuguese they use "banana" but in Castellano (american) the word "guineo" is used instead.»»

I read banana is an african word. Banana is also used by Castilian speakers:

"hay varios frutales llamados también bananos, y su fruto, la banana:"
[wikipedia]
Lolly   Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:01 am GMT
Puppy is said CACHORRINHO in Brazilian Portuguese.
Regular dog is CACHORRO.
Big dog is CACHORRÃO.