How to speak more interestingly in englsih?

Uriel   Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:41 pm GMT
<<Uriel, try this approach next time: "My navel does not protrude."
>>

Well, I was looking a little lower down, actually.... not talking about the bellybutton so much (which IS an innie as well, if you're curious).

Angels are traditionally without any sex at all, Stan. Amazingly enough, since they don't really procreate....
Stan   Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
<< Angels are traditionally without any sex at all, Stan. Amazingly enough, since they don't really procreate.... >>

I do not think they are without any sex, if you study your bible well, you will reallize that the Angels mentioned are masculine. There are those that believe there absolutely aren't female angels, I won't go into that since I don't have the proof (and certainly won't want to risk false doctrine). The archangels mentioned are males; Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel (sometimes given as a fourth) even Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel (of Eastern Orthodox tradition); sorry ladies, and there is no where in the Bible that a female angel is explicitly mentioned.

The masculine reference given to the angels is not a substitute for their "lack of sex," they are males.

Even the first Celestial Hierarchy which divides the "Heavenly hosts into Seraphim, Cherubim and Thrones (or Ophanim) has no female reference to a female Seraphim. Seraphims are important because they are the highest order of angels, serving as the caretakers of God's throne. Check the list of the known Seraphims and let me know if you recognize a female;

Seraphiel
Metatron
Uriel
Nathanael
Jehoel
Chamuel (Kemuel, Shemuel)
Lucifer
Satan
Abaddon
Asmodeus
Astaroth
Leviathan
Samael
Semyazza

And the known cherubim (the guardians of light and of the stars.)

Cherubiel
Gabriel
Ophaniel
Raphael
Uriel
Zophiel
Azazel
Beelzebub
Berith
Lauviah
Lucifer
Marou
Salikotal
Shamsiel

Boys Rule!!

Angels have sex, the kown ones are males, I cannot say if there aren't female angels, if I would guess, I would say "no" but you should never guess with the Bilbe.
Deborah   Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:10 am GMT
<< <<Uriel, try this approach next time: "My navel does not protrude."
>>

Well, I was looking a little lower down, actually.... not talking about the bellybutton so much (which IS an innie as well, if you're curious). >>

Oops! I've never heard "innie" and "outie" used in that context. Is that what you young 'uns would assume someone is talking about, these days?
Uriel   Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:38 pm GMT
Quick internet search: the Catholic Church apparently considers angels genderless:

"Angels are created Pure Spirits who have a higher intellect and will than man. They have no bodies and therefore cannot be male or female. Each angel is a new species, and there are nine choirs."

So ;P, Stan. Not that I, as an atheist, in any way take this discussion seriously. Next topic.

Deborah: I got that usage of "innie" and "outie" off an episode of Roseanne, where The Domestic Goddess (see how I segue neatly from topic to topic while maintaining a theme!) expresses her surprise that her lesbian friend (played by Sandra Bernhardt) is marrying (the very male) Tim Curry -- "Are you sure? Remember, he's an outie, not an innie." I just thought that was really funny, and it's stuck in my head ever since.
Stan   Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
<< So ;P, Stan. Not that I, as an atheist, in any way take this discussion seriously. Next topic. >>

Hmmmm, an atheist eh? didn't see that coming, to think I wasted all that time writing about Angels, but what do you care? I guess the Hosts of Heaven is the least of your concern, you don't even believe there is a God, how tragic!

In any case, remember Uriel is the name of the Archangel that holds the key to the Pit (Hell) during the End Times, so if you keep your atheism true to form, you might get the chance to meet him (for your sake I hope you do not meet under that 'circumstance').

Remember, everyone is welcome into the Kingdom, the consequence of missing out won't be "nice."
zxczxc   Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:37 pm GMT
There is no heaven. God is an imaginary friend for grown-ups.
Ramzi   Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:11 am GMT
I was trying to know the exact way of pronouncing the English R. I find it a bit difficult to say it the way natives do. Either it comes out from me like the R in Arabic, my native language – which I think is exactly like the Italian R where the sounds comes from rolling the tip of the tongue vigorously in the front inside of the mouth, or when I try to make the ringing sounds softer, I just don’t do it properly.

I noticed that the way natives pronounce it varies. Like in “really”, which seems to me the tip of the tongue should be rolling softly, while in “Under” the R is totally omitted.

So anyone could give tips on how to pronounce the R when it comes in the different possible positions. Does the tonge actully rolls? in the back or in the front? does it come for the throat?