Block letters and small letters

English Fan   Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:07 pm GMT
I wonder which of the following names are most commonly used to describe letters like "A, B, C..." and "a, b, c...". Are there any differences in usage between British and American English?

* block letters, capital letters, big letters, upper-case letters, block capitals

* small letters, lower-case letters

There are so many different names it just got me confused. I would be most interested to hear about that issue from native speakers. Thanks.
Deborah   Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:08 pm GMT
I live in the US and I use uppercase and lowercase. When I was learning to write (ca. 1956), the teachers called them capital letters and small letters. I don't recall when I switched to consisent use of uppercase and lowercase, but it may have been when I started working in an office. Proofreaders use "uc" and "lc" as corrections.
Uriel   Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:35 pm GMT
Uppercase and lowercase, or capital and small. I didn't know "block" letters referred to uppercase only; I thought it was a style of writing (as opposed to cursive).
Mxsmanic   Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:22 am GMT
In technical contexts, letters are described as uppercase or lowercase; in more casual contexts, they are described as capital and small. Children may describe uppercase letters as big letters.

Block letters are disconnected letters written to look like printed type (usually, but not always, uppercase). This is in opposition to letters that are connected in a curvy style that is often called cursive. This has nothing to do with the uppercase/lowercase distinction.
alexandria   Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:50 am GMT
Well i have a really weird Question and it doesnt involve any of this stuff but how do you do a block letter X please reply back ASAP....!!!!!!
Geoff_One   Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:52 am GMT
There is also title case.
Tinuke   Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:42 pm GMT
thank you very much
tinuke   Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:43 pm GMT
IT HELPED A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!