The use of 'any'

new_boy   Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:17 am GMT
In this sentence, I find the use of 'any': Do you have any cheese?

Is it still correct without 'any'? Or, is the use of 'any' a must?
Guest   Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:27 am GMT
Both are correct but "any" implies that the person asking is somewhat doubtful that his fellow interlocutor has cheese.
new_boy   Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:27 am GMT
I want to change the title, but I don't know how. Because I want to continue my question with the use of 'some'. In the sentences below, are they different?:

1. I have some books

2. I have books

thanks.
new_boy   Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:30 am GMT
So, based on the answer from Guest above, I can make a conclusion that the use of 'any' is not important. Because "do you have any cheese" and "do you have cheese" are both correct grammatically.
Robin   Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:32 am GMT
I think that the use of 'any' and 'some' is important, and they cannot simply be left out. It is the difference between 'getting by' in English, and speaking English properly.

Do you have any cheese?

Do you have some cheese?

Are both fine.

Do you have cheese?

Does not sound very good. By using the word 'any, or 'some', before you say 'cheese', gives the listener an idea of of what you are talking about. When you say: Do you have __________ . The blank, could be anything. Do you have Spots? Well yes, as it happens, but why do you ask?

So both versions are grammatically correct, but by saying 'any', or 'some' it helps the listener have some idea of what you are talking about. In normal speech there is often a lot of redundancy, people repeat what they have said, in a different way. In Broken English, or Telegraphic Speech, every word is crucial.

"Do you have any cheese?" Gives the listener the opportunity to expand on the Question. It is an 'open question'. Yes, we have several varieties of cheese.

"Do you have cheese?" Is a closed question: Yes or No. In practice the question would come across as being slightly rude. The listener would have to ask, "Yes, what sort of cheese do you want?"

Like a lot of things, there are no hard and fast rules, but some ways of putting things, sound better than others.
Guest   Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:42 pm GMT
>>So, based on the answer from Guest above, I can make a conclusion that the use of 'any' is not important. Because "do you have any cheese" and "do you have cheese" are both correct grammatically.<<

It depends on the context. It's something you figure out and learn from different situations. Off the cuff, I see "any" as something that implies doubt and "some" for scarcity.

But say you're a guest at a dinner party, it would sound a little more polite to use "some" or "any" to form such a question. At a gourmet store you know that sells cheese, you could simply ask "do you have camembert?".
todosmentira   Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
>>So, based on the answer from Guest above, I can make a conclusion that the use of 'any' is not important. Because "do you have any cheese" and "do you have cheese" are both correct grammatically.<<

No you can't; that's not the question you asked. Such a conclusion would be erroneous.

<<ut say you're a guest at a dinner party, it would sound a little more polite to use "some" or "any" to form such a question. At a gourmet store you know that sells cheese, you could simply ask "do you have camembert?">>

I agree with you entirely; in other words the inclusion of any could be described as an example of 'modality' by other means, as well as a feature of register.

To ask whether a standard feature of a language is important or not is like asking if cakes are sensitive or violins are blind.
Jazz   Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:51 pm GMT
What about the use of the following sentences?

Q.1 Do you sell something similar? (show the stuff to the saleperson)

I am sorry if my question is far from this topic.
new_boy   Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:41 am GMT
Thanks for all the responses.

At the same time I try to find some answers from the Internet about how to use "some" or "any". And, I think I am satisfied with the answer. This is a definition that I found on a website (http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/some_any01.html):

---We use the determiners some and any to speak about indefinite quantities or numbers, when the exact quantity or number that we are thinking of is not important.---

Thanks.