help me :(

Lorine   Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:30 pm GMT
does anyone know websites that will help me speak like a upper class woman or a website that will help me use more upper class words. The reason I want to speak POSH is because my vocabulary is limited and i can't always express myself the way i want to........... please please I am desperate.
Guest   Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:09 pm GMT
Dear Lorine

I have just visited a Web Site where the emphasis is on pronunciation. I think that it would be best for you to concentrate of RP: Received Pronunciation, which for most people is quite posh enough.

If your vocabulary is limited, then 'Posh' is not a very good direction to go in. Posh words, tend to be long words, which are more difficult to learn and pronounce, and are much more likely to be used incorrectly.

I would think that you would be better just trying to extend your vocabulary. Having an extensive vocabulary is Posh enough for most people.

The only thing that I would say, is that you should try to avoid slang or swear words. However for some people, POSH is defined by a choice of old fashioned swear words.

"I am really browned off."

This is the sort of language that Officers in the Indian Army would use. Perhaps being 'really browned off' is not the best example.

Like most things in English: Posh is a moving target.