Pronunciation issue

Lazar   Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
Now Kirk, since we've established that "haily" and "Haley" don't rhyme for you, I'd also like to ask about:

"haily"~"daily"

These two don't rhyme in my speech, because they have different morphological boundaries. I treat "daily" as a direct adverbial derivative of "day", so it's "hail-y" ["heI5.i] versus "dai-ly" [deI.li]. Is this the same for you?

Also, there are some exceptional cases where /l/ seems, for whatever reason, not to have combined with the preceding vowel in my speech, in environments where you might have thought that it would. Three pop to mind:

"polo" ["p_h7U.l7U] - compare my "polar", "stroller", "Napoleon", all of which use [oU5...]

"feline" ["fi.%laIn]

"saline" ["seI.%lin]
Lazar   Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:22 pm GMT
Oops - I meant to add: How would you pronounce those last three words?
Kirk   Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:28 am GMT
<<Now Kirk, since we've established that "haily" and "Haley" don't rhyme for you, I'd also like to ask about:

"haily"~"daily"

These two don't rhyme in my speech, because they have different morphological boundaries. I treat "daily" as a direct adverbial derivative of "day", so it's "hail-y" ["heI5.i] versus "dai-ly" [deI.li]. Is this the same for you? >>

Exactly the same for me. Adverbial 'ly' seems to pretty reliably be a case where I always have a light l.

<<Also, there are some exceptional cases where /l/ seems, for whatever reason, not to have combined with the preceding vowel in my speech, in environments where you might have thought that it would. Three pop to mind:

"polo" ["p_h7U.l7U] - compare my "polar", "stroller", "Napoleon", all of which use [oU5...]

"feline" ["fi.%laIn]

"saline" ["seI.%lin]>>

I tried the different /l/s for both of those and it seems I usually have a clear /l/ in "feline" and "saline" (tho dark l didn't sound too weird). "Polo" can have either one for me, which is interesting because, like with you, the dark /l/ makes me have a more rounded and backer /o/ than I'd normally have so depending on which /l/ I use the vowel can actually vary.

I've noticed that some American newscasters (especially older ones) often have light /l/ in words like "million" and "pavilion" while I always have dark /5/ there. Another /lj/ thing--I was listening to the Beatles song "I want to tell you" earlier today and it struck me George had a light /l/ in "tell you." Of course singing isn't the best way to judge an accent but even singing I would never use a light /l/ there. "Tell" only has [5] for me no matter what follows it.
Lazar   Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:02 am GMT
<<I've noticed that some American newscasters (especially older ones) often have light /l/ in words like "million" and "pavilion" while I always have dark /5/ there. Another /lj/ thing--I was listening to the Beatles song "I want to tell you" earlier today and it struck me George had a light /l/ in "tell you." Of course singing isn't the best way to judge an accent but even singing I would never use a light /l/ there. "Tell" only has [5] for me no matter what follows it.>>

Yeah, I think I also tend to pronounce /lj/ sequences as [5j].

By the way, regarding /lj/ in "million" (and "billion"), I've heard some people (Southern and AAVE speakers, I think) simplify the /lj/ here to /j/, so it's ["mI.j@n] and ["bI.j@n]. (m-w.com actually lists the /l/ in "million" and "billion" as optional.)
Kirk   Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:47 am GMT
<<Yeah, I think I also tend to pronounce /lj/ sequences as [5j].

By the way, regarding /lj/ in "million" (and "billion"), I've heard some people (Southern and AAVE speakers, I think) simplify the /lj/ here to /j/, so it's ["mI.j@n] and ["bI.j@n]. (m-w.com actually lists the /l/ in "million" and "billion" as optional.)>>

Yeah /lj/ > /j/ does strike me as particularly Southern or AAVE. That's a pretty predictable change cross-linguistically so it's interesting to me it hasn't actually happened in more English dialects.