Correct?

nobody   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:26 pm GMT
Is this sentence correct: "The issue is that NNN is the only one country in this region getting visa where to might take a very long time"?
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:30 pm GMT
No. I am not even sure what the sentence is trying to communicate. My best guess without more information: "The issue is that NNN is the only country getting visas, whereas elsewhere it might take a long time"
nobody   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:57 pm GMT
It is supposed to convey the idea that you can get the visa to any country very fast, except the NNN; let's forget the "in this region", it is not relevant.
JW   Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:44 pm GMT
The sentence as you typed it in your first post is definitely incorrect. If you want to say how difficult it is to obtain a visa in the NNN, you could try to rework your original sentence. But I suggest you abandon it altogether and try for something a bit more idiomatic. For example, you could say this:

"In almost every other country in the region, it is relitively easy to obtain a visa. But in the NNN, it is quite difficult. Any outsider who wants a visa to work in the NNN must X, Y, Z, etc." (X, Y, and Z stand for the arduous steps a person must take to get a visa in the NNN.)

You could also say this:

"The issue is that it is much more difficult to get a visa in the NNN than in any of the surrounding countries."

And I could go on and on. As you probably already know, English is a remarkable versitile language.
JW   Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:47 pm GMT
Two mistakes:

In my first suggestion, "relitively" should be "relatively."

And in my last sentence, I should have written "remarkably" instead of simply "remarkable" and "versatile" for "versitile."
nobody   Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:07 pm GMT
Thank you all for your patience.

Actually, it is a faxed message and it can't be so long. Regarding the NNN visa, it must be only one sentence, since it is not the main topic of the message.
And it is not "in NNN", it is about getting visa to travel to NNN from somewhere else. Leaving in this "somewhere else" you can easily get the visa to any other country of the region, but NNN.

Thank you again.
Guest   Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:39 am GMT
<<<<Is this sentence correct: "The issue is that NNN is the only one country in this region getting visa where to might take a very long time"? >>>>

The issue is that NNN, is the only country in this Region, in which getting a Visa, takes a long time.

I try to break down the various parts of the sentence using commas.

The issue is that NNN

is the only country in this Region

in which getting a Visa

takes a long time.

The problem with changing the wording and completely rewriting the sentence, is that you may also change the meaning.
nobody   Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:07 pm GMT
Definitely agree with the last statement. My only doubt now is: "in which getting a visa" - doesn't it convey that you are physically in NNN? Actually, we reside in a third country.