Brennus please answer

Liz   Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:18 am GMT
Dear Brennus,

our wildest nightmares have come true... You have deleted the entire German thread again. I do not really see the reason why you have done it, since nobody has written "brain-dead" nonsense or obscenity after you had deleted the thread for the first time.

Well, you are absolutely right in thinking that we have gone astray. But you seem to punish only us. You do not delete other threads which are full of nonsense and/or obscenity, and are not at all related to the original topic. Not to mention the English-Celtic banters. Banters? What an understatement! Wars!

I'd really like to know on what grounds you decide which threads have gone astray and which have not.

Yes, I appreciate the fact that the German thread was full of messages which are not connected to the original topic. But what was the original topic? Oh, you said it WAS NOT a topic. Should we restrict the topic that much? You suggested that we should have a discussion on _a_ particular German linguistic phenomenon.

Well, let's assume that we start a new topic, for the sake of argument, with the following title: "Die zweite Lautverschiebung". That is certainly a topic. Do you really think that the discussion would not go astray? Fat chance. Okay, that's a fairly restricted topic.

Now what if we start a new topic on sociolinguistics, say, about the Bavarian dialect(s). Being an applied "science" (well, not at all science, rather an academic discipline), sociolinguistics is not restricted to _a_ strictly linguistic issue. Therefore the discussion would go astray for 100 per cent sure. Is it a big problem, anyway? We have different thoughts, associations, streams of consciousness etc., so it is quite unnatural to keep the discussion strictly on one single thread. Could you imagine it happen in real life? Just think of the following situation. You are having a chat with your friends, say, about wines. One of them mentions that immediately France had come to mind, and starts talking about his journey to France, when one of the friends say: "Please don't change the topic." Is it possible? No way, man! Yes, the topic has been changed from wines to France, but these two things ARE connected. We have different new ideas, associations. We are not robots or computers, for God's sake.

So back to my original question: how can you decide which messages are connected to the topic and which ones are not? I'm dieing to know your opinion.

I'm looking forward to reading you reply.
Best regards

Liz
Pauline   Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:34 am GMT
Hallo Liz and Brennus,

I've noticed you've written to Brennus a very good letter.

yesterday I've discovered that our thread was moderated, therefore I've created 3 others. I don't understand at all why does he delete only our threads, but the other ones can continue. He is maybe a friend of Sander and they are annoyed ?

My 3 threads have been moderated, but it was just ; some messages only are disappeared but the thread it remain. Then it's ok I think.

brennus, I'm very sorry if I did write some things what have annoyed you. really I don't deliberately annoy someone. With Sander it was a silly argument and I promise I will not repeat such a thing.He annoyed me because he didn't believed me when I told a fact. I have schizophrenia so I'm sensitive that people will believe me and not to think it was in my mind only.

Thanks.
Pauline   Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:34 am GMT
my lunchhour will finish now so i must go to the lessons.

I hope that you will talk with me still although i'm a little mad. Mostly i'm very well and not ill.

Bye.
Benjamin   Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:53 am GMT
Brennus probably saw the messages in German and couldn't understand then, so he deleted them. Same as always and totally unreasonable.
Liz   Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:09 pm GMT
<<I hope that you will talk with me still although i'm a little mad. Mostly i'm very well and not ill.>>

Pauline,
I'm pleased to talk to you. I don't think anyone would ever think that you are ill. (I mean seriously ill :-))

<<Brennus probably saw the messages in German and couldn't understand then, so he deleted them. Same as always and totally unreasonable.>>

I'm afraid so, Benjamin.

Brennus,
I'd be obliged if you were so kind as to answer my question. Sorry for being a bit ironic in formulating my request, but I tried to contact you many times in this forum, in vain. All the messages I've written to you (not in a straightforward manner as I do now, though) has been deleted somehow, and left unanswered.
greg   Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:14 pm GMT
Benjamin : « Brennus probably saw the messages in German and couldn't understand then, so he deleted them. Same as always and totally unreasonable. »
Ça n'est malheureusement pas la première fois que Brennus affiche une incompréhensible sévérité pour des sujets totalement linguistiques et exhibe une complaisance déplacée en faveur de sujets extralinguistiques.
Il va sans dire que ce sont des ignorants tels que LAA qui bénéficient le plus de cet état de fait déplorable. Antimoon n'en sort pas grandi, malheureusement.

Brennus : j'en profite pour te poser une 10e fois la même question jusqu'ici demeurée sans réponse —> pour quoi avoir supprimé le sujet «Traduction de <qui plus est> [kiplyze]» à 2 reprises ?
Aurais-je dû parler de biologie et d'anthropométrie pour bénéficier de la même considération dont jouit un individu tel que LAA ?
Jo   Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:43 pm GMT
I asked you the question ,Brennus ,what languages you actually speak and, if you don't speak a certain specific one , how you can possibly know what is to your liking or not. You forthwith deleted it together with the entire German thread.

Your previous argument was we should not stray away from the topic.
While no harsh or mean language was used, and mainly German was spoken ( we tried ), it is incredible to see in this day and age in this kind of medium, you as one little potentate can at will act upon your subjective and biased interpretations.
Anti-Sander   Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:22 pm GMT
<<He is maybe a friend of Sander and they are annoyed ? >>

This is nonsense, Sander cannot have friends. That would be unnatural.
Liz   Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
A typo:
dieing=dying
nico   Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
the same happened to me when i asked him whay does mean: "the english language tolerates the use of french in Canada". I created a topic to aks him if a language can be considered like a human person? To tolerate someone, you need feelings, this is proper to humans, right? But brennus deleted it. It seems to be like in some countries, english is alone, and the other languages are on an other side of the forum. This is called segregation, and when some aren't liked, they are not tolerated. My question was about languages.
Jo   Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:37 pm GMT
If the Polish owners of this site created the ' other languages' forums,
maybe we could ask them to spell out exactly how they see these forums are to be moderated and if it is in this KGB way they could let us know.
Poland now being a part of the 'free' world, I can' t imagine they would like an "antimoon " China style.