Does this sound right to you? If yes, then what's going on?

Jim   Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:19 am GMT
Which of the following sounds correct to you?

AA) Is English your first language? If so, then what dialect do you speak? If not, then what is your first language?

AB) Is English your first language? If so, then what dialect do you speak? If no, then what is your first language?

BA) Is English your first language? If yes, then what dialect do you speak? If not, then what is your first language?

BB) Is English your first language? If yes, then what dialect do you speak? If no, then what is your first language?

As for myself, only AA sounds right.
Pete   Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:24 am GMT
AA is the one I would normally use. Now if some native speaker uses BA, for instance... in some people's view it is right.

I don't know and I don't give a fuck. Learning to speak English was difficult enough like to keep complicating things with pointless arguments...

Pete
Guest   Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:24 am GMT
Only AA is correct. The others are wrong.
Jim   Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:29 am GMT
There may be a point in the arguement if, say, you were making a form and were wondering which of these you should choose.
Travis   Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:43 am GMT
For me, both AA, BA, and BB work just fine, while AB seems somewhat off in its pairing of "so" and "no". In literary language, though, I would prefer AA unless one is making reference to, say, yes/no answers to a question, where then I would prefer BB.
Jim   Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:49 am GMT
That's interesting, Travis, that you would prefer BB if you were making reference to "yes"/"no" answers. This, it seems to me, is where one most often encounters BB.
Tiffany   Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:13 am GMT
AA is personally the only one I'd use, but I wouldn't rule out any of the others being said by native speakers, BB especially in the situation of yes/no answers as Travis and Jim pointed out.
Pete   Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
Interestingly odd. I would advise English Learners not to check this one before taking an examination on the subject. Unless they wanted to be marked wrong by their teachers.

But for a person who already has a good command of the language, this is very useful information, because it helps to give you a more realistic idea of how Native-speakers use the language in real life. Then, you're able to use it yourself, and sound more natural depending on the situation...

Pete