Our language:, Basque, Irish, Wu, Galician, Occitan...

Askatasunera   Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:52 pm GMT
Which the language to whom you are anxious to talk, I speak about languages which have so much influence as English, Chinese, French, or Spanish; your regional languages whom you like has to announce your knowledge, out of curiosity the fonctionement of your languages, their histories, their problems...

I have chooses to post this subject because I even I had the luck to have as mother tongue, the Basque an unknown language, of mysterious and very ancient past....
Pete   Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
I think this should be in the Language Forum. Anyway, I'm really curious to know more about Basque. It's apparently unrelated to any language in the world. Some say it's a remaining of one of the ancient languages spoken in Iberia before the arrival of Romans, even celtic peoples, I don't know.

Could you give me more information on the subject?
Askatasunera   Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:36 pm GMT
Mais bien sur je serai fier de te parler du basque! Je ne sais pas qu'est ce que tu veut savoir en premier.
Déjà comme tu dis le basque n'a pas de rapport avec aucune autres langues du monde, enfin...Des linguistes ont trouvé d'étranges ressemblance avec plusieurs langues géographiquement opposées et isolées comme le japonais:

http://www.grandcolombier.com/2003-culture/euzkadi/kolovrat/page25.html
(site en francais mais il doit certainement y en avoir en anglais...)

Des farfelues disent que le basque est le dernier descendant encore vivant de ce que fut la langue parlée en Atlantide, seulement étant donné que nous avons jamais trouvé quelconque iles englouties, la réalité est certes moins extraordinaire mais, en fait le basque est une langue qui a résisté farouchement au autres idiomes (malgres tout 70% du vocabulaire basque est étrangé au "pure basque" il est d'origine latine, celtique, berbère, ibère...) et si le basque est considéré comme un isolat certain le mettent dans une famille de langue encore plus ancienne que celle indo-européenne, la famille pré indo européenne.

une anecdote est que lors de l'arrivée des conquistadors espagnols au mexique, des pretres espagnols d'origines basquophones arrivèrent a se faire comprendre des indigènes, mais aussi autre cas similaire mais cette fois au Japon, vous avez certainement du entendre du célèbre jésuite Saint François Xavier qui préchat au Japon, il se fit l'un des premiers dictionnaires de traduction japonaise, mais comment arriva t'il a apprendre le japonais assez rapidement?
avec le basque.
----------------------------------------------------
But indeed on I shall be proud to speak to you about the Basque! I do not know that what is what you wants to know in the first one.
Already as you say the Basque has a report with nobody the other languages of the world, finally... Linguists found of strange resemblance with several languages geographically opposite and isolated as Japanese:

http://www.grandcolombier.com/2003-culture/euzkadi/kolovrat/page25.html

(this link is in french but there are interesting comparisons)

The eccentric ones say that the Basque is the last still alive descendant of what was the language spoken in Atlantis, only since we ever found unspecified absorbed islands, reality is certainly less extraordinary but, in fact the Basque is a language which resisted the other idioms savagely (but 70% of the Basque vocabulary are strange with the “pure basque" it is of Latin origin, Celtic, Berber, Iberian...)

An anecdote is that at the time of the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors in Mexico, Spanish priests of origins basquophones arrived has to render comprehensible themselves natives, but also another similar case but this time in Japan, you have certainly to hear famous Jesuit Saint François Xavier who précha in Japan, it was done one of the first dictionaries of Japanese translation, but how did it arrive you has to learn Japanese rather quickly?
with the Basque.

will be able to speak to you about the Basque during hours but for the moment I will stop a little lol
I will speak the next time to you about Basque original grammar (if somebody of basquophone to help me little)

"Asko daki zaharrak, erakutsi beharrak."
''Ce que l'ancien connaît, la nécessité le lui a enseigné''
" What the ancient knows, the necessity taught it to her "
Guest   Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:01 pm GMT
Je suppose que tu veut des extrait sonores alors voila je t'en ai passé
J'ai seulement des extrait musicaux désolé...mais je pense que c'est suffisant pour te donner un avant-gout de la prononciation du basque:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONbFTlhUbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zPrGtSDpmU

(Ps: Tu n'es pas chilien?)

----------------------------------------

I suppose that you wants extracted sound then here is I gave you...
I have only extracted musical I am sorry but I think that it is sufficient to give you a idea of the pronunciation of the Basque:

Http: // www.youtube.com / watch? V=BONbFTlhUbI
Http: // www.youtube.com / watch? V=7zPrGtSDpmU

( Ps: you are not Chilean?)
Askatasunera   Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:09 pm GMT
The "guest" it's me:) and for the question which I put at the end it was for Pete, and I made a mistake I wanted to ask you if you was Peruvian (and not Chilean excuse I) because I saw in another forum than you had written "Pete from peru"
Pete from Peru   Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
Hi again. Yes I am from Peru. And the link you posted there showed me some interesting comparisons. I'll tell you, once I met a couple of people they were Barque, but from the Spanish part. When I heard them speak it was very strange, because, you know, they were tall, white people, but were speaking in a language that sometimes (to my ears) was a bit like Japanese.

Then I thought better and said, Basque similar to Japanese... I must be crazy, but then another part of myself said: "but Japanese is an isolated language as well".

Now I checked those comparisons and it was very interesting.

I can't speak French, although thanks to my Spanish and Italian knowledge, I can figure out the general sense of what is being said... I read that it's somewhat similar to Turkish and Finish!! Well, Finnish and Hungarian form a family of languages themselves. But is it possible that Basque may be related to Finnish or Hungarian, or maybe an ancient dead variety belonging to that language family.

The more I know about Basque, the more interesting it becomes. Well, I've always had this fascination towards languages, ever since I was a child.

Kind regards from Peru

Pete
Pete   Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
<<...they were Barque...>>

I meant "they were Basque..."
Guest   Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
Gau On!
Good Night!

Je sais que plusieurs étrangers on fait la comparaison avec le japonais, c'est vrai que phonétiquement ça y ressemble beaucoup quand le basque est parlé rapidement...mais il peut aussi faire songer au russe pour son long roulement du "r".
Il y a une chose aussi, comme je sais que tu es péruvien, tu es donc je pense d'origine hispanophone, et je dois te dire que l'espagnol a pris quelques emprunts du basque, ceci est visible par le système de cinq voyelles, la disparition de la lettre f de beaucoup de mots et par l'existence des mots en espagnol, d'origine basque, par exemple, izquierda (gauche) en espagnol vient du mot basque ezkerra.

I know that several foreigners we make the comparison with Japanese, it is true that phoneticaly that looks like it a lot when the Basque is quickly spoken but he can also make dream of Russian for his long movement of the "r".
There is a thing also, as I know that you are Peruvian, you are thus I think of Spanish-speaking origin, And I have to say to you that Spanish took some loans of the Basque, this is visible by the system of five vowels, the disappearance of the letter f of many words and by the existence of the words in Spanish, the Basque origin, for example, izquierda (left) in Spanish comes from the Basque word ezkerra.

To inform you about this language you can go on wikipedia, there are
data excellent:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euskera

PS: indiscreet question... do you speak the quechua?
(that will interest to me to compare the Basque of the Amerindian
languages)

"Idia adarretik eta gizona hitzetik."
''On tient le bœuf par les cornes et l'homme par la parole''

Agur!
Pete from Peru   Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:20 pm GMT
<<Spanish took some loans of the Basque, this is visible by the system of five vowels, the disappearance of the letter f of many words and by the existence of the words in Spanish, the Basque origin, for example, izquierda (left) in Spanish comes from the Basque word ezkerra.>>

Yes! that's right! make the comparison:

Eng: Do
Spa: hacer
Port: Fazer
Ita: Fare

No, sadly I don't speak Quechua. I come from the Western part of Peru. From the coast. Very few people actually speak quechua here in the coast, and if they do, it's because their families came from a Quechua-speaking background. Quechua's not very common on the Peruvian coast anyway. But in much of the Peruvian Mountainous area, in the "Andes", people are usually bilingual. Some times they speak Peruvian Spanish as their mother tongue and Quechua as their second language or viceversa. There are some remote towns or little villages where only Quechua is spoken, and the only ones who can speak Spanish are the major, or the most important people of the town.

I'd like to speak Quechua because it's our ancestor's language. But I can't. Sorry, I won't be able to help you on making a comparison between Quechua and Basque.

If any Peruvian is reading this, or maybe some Bolivian or Argentine or anyone who could possibly speak Quechua their help would be really apreciated.

And the info in wikipedia was superb, thanks. (and in Spanish, XD)

Pete
greg   Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:12 am GMT
Askatasunera : « (...) et si le basque est considéré comme un isolat certain le mettent dans une famille de langue encore plus ancienne que celle indo-européenne, la famille pré indo européenne. »

Intéressant.

D'un autre côté, le basque a exercé une influence notable sur une langue latine telle que le gascon (une langue d'Oc parlée dans le Sud-Ouest de la France).
Pete   Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:34 am GMT
Ahh, so Spanish isn't the only Romance language that's been influenced by Basque. What about French? Has it got some features that come from Basque??

BTW, how do you say "Left" in French?
Askatasunera   Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:03 am GMT
Egunon deneri!
Good Morning all!

If French received an influence of the Basque, then it must be tiny,
because geographically, compared to Spanish or the Gascon (moreover I have a site on the basco-Gascon relations: http://membres.lycos.fr/simorre/oc/gascon.html ), French is relatively distant… (“left” is in French "gauche" no relationship with the Basque is thus said) rather look at this map and you will understand why certain words of certain Latin languages are Basque origins:

http://www.hku.hk/linguist/program/Basque.jpg

You will notice, if you know the linguistic origin of Spanish says Castilian in Spain, that the Basque and Spanish are relatively close… it is certain that exchanges could take place…

I have also a site on a “summary of our knowledge of today” (in French and English):

http://membres.lycos.fr/artzamendi/baskhisf.html
------------------------------------------------
Egunon deneri!
Bonjour tout le monde!

Si le français a reçu une influence du basque, alors il doit être minime, car géographiquement, par rapport a l'espagnol ou le gascon(d'ailleurs j'ai un site sur les relations basco-gasconnes: http://membres.lycos.fr/simorre/oc/gascon.html ), le français est relativement éloigné...(« gauche » se dit gauche en français donc aucun rapport avec le basque) regardez plutôt cette carte et vous comprendrez pourquoi certains mots de certaines langues latines sont d'origines basques:

http://www.hku.hk/linguist/program/Basque.jpg

Vous remarquerez, si vous connaissez l'origine linguistique de l'espagnol dit castillan en Espagne, que le basque et l'espagnol sont relativement proche...il est certain que des échanges ont pu avoir lieu...

J'ai aussi un site sur un "résumé de nos connaissances d'aujourd'hui" (en français et anglais):

http://membres.lycos.fr/artzamendi/baskhisf.html