'Das ist uncool' – Germans fight against English invasion

Kelly L   Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
It is so funny when Germans pronounce the world COOL.
It sounds very non native...
Liz   Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:41 pm GMT
<<It is so funny when Germans pronounce the world COOL.
It sounds very non native...>>

Well, yes...it usually does. It is still better to pronounce it in the German way than to pronounce it with an American accent. (I don't want to offend Americans for the world. It was just an illustrative example, since GAE is much more trendy in non-English-speaking EU countries I reckon. However, I'm not German.)

BTW, I'm not very keen on this word even if it's used in an Englsh context. It's extremely overused now in the English-speaking world and it's spreading in non-English-speaking countries all over Europe. I don't know much about the same situation outside the continent.
Llorenna   Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:42 pm GMT
''It is still better to pronounce it in the German way than to pronounce it with an American accent.''

there is no ''American accents'' but various American accents,
some of them front U [kewl], some don't [kool].
British English seem to like U-fronting as well, so both UK and WestUS/Canadian pronunciation is the same: kewl

German pronunciation sounds like a mixture of [kühl] (with UE) and k@l (with schwa).
Llorenna   Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:43 pm GMT
''It is still better to pronounce it in the German way than to pronounce it with an American accent.''

there is no single ''American accent'' but various American accents,
some of them front U [kewl], some don't [kool].
British English seem to like U-fronting as well, so both UK and WestUS/Canadian pronunciation is the same: kewl

German pronunciation sounds like a mixture of [kühl] (with UE) and k@l (with schwa). And German final L is strange too. It should be more fronted, it is too back-articulated.
Liz   Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
<<there is no ''American accents'' but various American accents>>

Right you are. However, I didn't claim that there is "an American accent", either. It was just an example, meaning any kind of American accents, especially GAE (in the case of Germans).