Response for How are you

Jerry   Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:49 pm GMT
I am new to UK. Most people say How are you or Are you OK when met.

So what can I reply to this greetings?

Something like:

Just fine.
Pretty good.
All right.
-Q-   Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
yeah, that's pretty much what you respond. Or you can say "excellent" or "terrific" or "fabulous" or "monstrously wonderful" or "better than ever"
Guest   Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
or "yah real good then"
Robin   Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:05 am GMT
"How are you?"

There are expressions in English which appear to be expressing concern:

"How are You!"

which in the rough and tumble world have become mere formalities. I was reading in a book describing 'One Night Stands', that expressions like:

'I'll call you'

'See you sometime'

Mean exactly the opposite of what they appear to be saying.

However it is up to people, to make the words meaningful or not. It would be wrong to suggest that when someone asks:

'How are you?': they are asking for your full medical history, but it does give you the opportunity to say;

'I feel terrible', (don't ask me to do anything to arduous today.)

or 'What a night, I had last night!'
Jerry   Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
LOL, Robin.

You are thinking to much. Just about general speaking, you've got professional answer. :)

Still thank you!~

:D
Travis   Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:53 pm GMT
Note the word "fine", which as a response to such has a meaning quite different from what non-native English-speakers (and especially native German-speakers) might expect. It either indicates dismissal of the person asking "How are you?" or indicating that the person responding really isn't fine at all, or both. The thing about German in particular here is that "fein" in German lacks this sense which "fine" in English has, and in general is (much) more positive than English "fine" in many cases even though a few uses of English "fine" are about equivalent in "positiveness" with German "fein".
Guest   Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
Well, I seldomly use "fine" in that ironic sense and others around me normally mean for it to be taken frankly.