Victor the Linguist is imitating English accents

Liz   Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:17 pm GMT
Hello,

I've found this link. Here is a bloke who is imitating different English accents (GAE, Standard British English, Cockney, Australian, Indian etc.). How successful do you think he is in emulating those accents?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kp9addN0YFE&mode=related&search=
Tiffany   Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:35 pm GMT
As a native speaker of GAE - he kind of has the rhythm, but he overpronounces his "r"s and certain other sounds (like the sounds in his version of GAE "standard", "talk", live" and "vegetables"). So yes, he sounds non-native to me, but obviously trying to make the effort.
Benjamin   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:13 pm GMT
The main give-away in his rendition of 'Standard British English' is that he has essentially taken his text, which was written in an American style, and pronounced it in a kind of Southeast England accent (although some of the vowel sounds sound more Northern). However, he has not modified his phrasing and sentence structure accordingly.
JW   Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:21 am GMT
His American redneck is terrible. But since this is all in fun, it's nothing to get upset about.
Deborah   Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
As for his American redneck being terrible, I suppose it depends on how you define terrible. In the parts where he isn't slipping up, he manages to sound pretty good.

I do object to using "redneck" to describe a particular accent, though. "Redneck" describes a certain type of person, and rednecks can have different regional accents.
Robin   Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:45 pm GMT
I had a correspondence once, with a woman from Oklahoma. She was very fond of 'redneck' jokes.

As for Victor's British accent, I thought it was very disappointing.

The big danger of copying other people's accents, is that you may well be accused of 'taking the mikey'.
Q   Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:20 am GMT
Any chance of getting an audio-only version? I can't open the video.
Liz   Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:58 am GMT
<<Any chance of getting an audio-only version? I can't open the video.>>

I'm afraid it's impossible. Audio is needed.
Lazar   Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
<<The big danger of copying other people's accents, is that you may well be accused of 'taking the mikey'.>>

Forgive me, but what does "taking the mikey" mean?
Liz   Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:07 pm GMT
<<Forgive me, but what does "taking the mikey" mean?>>

That means "taking the piss".
Rick Johnson   Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
His standard British accent sounds like Steve Coogan's character Alan Partridge!

"I hate warm beer"
Rick Johnson   Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:56 pm GMT
Nicholas   Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:05 pm GMT
Robin   Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:56 am GMT
<<Forgive me, but what does "taking the mikey" mean?>>

I should have said: 'taking the micky' which basically means making fun of foreigners, in particular 'Irish people' or 'Micks'.

I 'laughed out loud' at Alan Partridge. I found worrying when my 'ex' girlfriend found him so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w30d191OnnQ&mode=related&search=