Body touching in UK

Dim   Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:03 pm GMT
I do made a mistake today: I touched my roommate's head to show my friendliness. But I just got the opposite effect.Makes me embarassing.

Any one can tell me more about such no-nos.
Robin   Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
I heard an item on the radio today, that because of fears of 'child abuse', teachers are no longer permitted to touch children. There was a man complaining, that this made it very difficult if not impossible to teach ballet.

I would not worry to much about these things.

There is something else: the two fingered salute, or 'V' for victory sign. I thought this was fairly universal, but Polish people very careless of causing unintentional insult.
Benjamin   Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:28 am GMT
« There is something else: the two fingered salute, or 'V' for victory sign. I thought this was fairly universal, but Polish people very careless of causing unintentional insult. »

LMAO — I'm with a load of Polish people at the moment, and one of them did just that yesterday!

Some people really don't like being patted on the head/back/shoulders etc. even by people they know fairly well, but I'd probably say that most people in Britain don't mind overall (at least in my experience, which is largely confined to middle-class people).
Damian in London E16   Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:20 am GMT
***There was a man complaining, that this made it very difficult if not impossible to teach ballet***

For the very same reasons men are not going in for teaching at primary/secondary education level and they can't be blamed for this one little bit. It's pure neurosis and society suffers in the long run. Boys are being raised by single mothers who do not want a man in their household; boys start their education where the entire teaching staff are female; boys are being brought up with no male role models; it's essential for boys to have the influence of males in their lives during these early developmental stages in their lives.

If any male is involved in any unfortunate and malicious and unfounded accusation of "inappropriate behaviour" HE is the very last person to be believed in his own self defence.

That's why there are no male teachers in the early stages of education. That's why there are no male ballet teachers. That's why society is neurotic.

Blame it on feminism. End of.

No wonder we have neds. No wonder society has gone to the bow wows.