Progressive statives

Pash   Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:46 am GMT
Sentential aspect

I've heard both these expressions in my years in Britain, but never really known why a speaker would choose one over the other in different contexts. What, IYO, could be the reasons for choosing one over the other?

I'm really loving this holiday.
I really love this holiday.
Robin   Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
I really love this holiday

is what a British person would say.

"I'm loving it" is the Coca Cola slogan

I'm loving this holiday

There is nothing really wrong with saying:

It is just the sort of thing that Borat would say.

http://www.borat.tv/

http://www.borat.tv/reportings3.php

It might not be wrong, but it is not right either.
Lazar   Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:34 am GMT
<<"I'm loving it" is the Coca Cola slogan>>

No, actually it's the McDonald's slogan. ;-)
Guest   Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 am GMT
And technically the slogan is "I'm lovin' it."
Guest   Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:23 am GMT
I don't know about British people, but as an American, I would say that "I'm loving this holiday." is correct and it specifically means that at this moment you are loving the holiday, but doesn't say anything else about other times.
Also, you can only say "I'm really loving this Christmas." if it's actually Christmas. Otherwise, you have no choice but to say "I really love Christmas."
meesh   Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:44 pm GMT
Hmm, let's take for example, Christmas.

In the midst of Christmas, you could be making casual conversation with someone and say "I love this holiday."

However, let's say in the midst of Christmas, you are doing something you absolutely love! It's Christmastime, and you're gathered around the fireplace sipping eggnog and singing Christmas carols while your mom is playing the piano. Looking around the room, you get an overwhelming sense of happiness...and this is when you look to the person next to you and you tell them "I'm loving this holiday."

I guess saying "I love this holiday" is just saying that you're loving that holiday in general for no specific reason. And you say "I'm loving this holiday" because you are currently doing something especially wonderful that is making you love the holiday.

=)
Cow   Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:00 am GMT
I've never said "I'm loving", and I never intend to say it.
Glikeria   Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:36 am GMT
Perhaps before McDonalds nobody said so. It's not stative any more here, it means "I'm getting a lot of pleasure" in the process of devouring the sandwich.
Tommie   Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:40 am GMT
The cake is looking done.

???
pos   Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:58 am GMT
How about...

Dolly:It (the cake) looks done.
Dan:You're telling me! It's been looking done for the last five minutes.

Some linguists would say that such uses are marked rather than ungrammatical. Would you agree?
Glikeria   Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:52 pm GMT
Some people would frown at "looking" done. But one can hear in songs -You're looking good...