English with a Chinese accent

engrish   Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:11 pm GMT
i dunno, mate
Chinglish   Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:31 am GMT
hey you even don't know what you are talkin' about! Trust me in ten or fifteen years people in the world got to buy Chinglish --- the way Chinese speak english! the world wants to trade with China, you want to know about the country and learn things from this country which history's five hundred times older than some of yours ... there's no reason for anyone not to learn the way Chinese people speak english! why chinese have to follow your way to speak english?! don't forget english doesn't belong only to native english speakers but to the world! it's everyone's language!
Guest   Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:42 pm GMT
To annoyed:
>> really don't know. It just bothers me to see people learn English, and then twist it to suit their own purposes. If you want to communicate in English, why not learn a real dialect that people can understand? Do you really think that native English speakers would understand if you spoke to them in that mess? Why invent silly "code words" like "ah" and tag them on the end of your sentences? I thought the purpose of learning English was to be able to communicate with other English speakers? How would you like it if I took your native language, and modified it to fit my own needs--making it almost completely unintelligible to you? Wouldn't you think that rather odd?<<

well, I'm not sure whom have you heard it from or what sort of self-proclaimed "Chinese" you've encountered, but that seem an over generalisation. I am native Chinese, a Cantonese to be precise, and English is my second language, but I have not do that myself nor have I ever heard any such nonsense from anyone I have spoken to while we're conversing in English. Then again, I can't speak of every "Chinese" in the world but if a generalisation requires only one counter example to disprove, then this is it.

ok, i have used those before purely beacause I was being facetious, but for you to venture a guess so wild as to the speakers' design of their use of, ah-hem, your precious language? to inventing something just so that it is unintelligible to an average native speaker? odd indeed, but i digress.

to be sure, non-words like um or hm, or how about huh, and eh? are just as meaningless as any of those ah or loh or what have you (or what have us in this particular case) and those "code words" are, id est the huhs and ehs, believe it or not, part of the English language landscape. oh... may be you'd never deign to utter those nonsense yourself? I reserve my doubts.
footyGIRL   Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:55 am GMT
hey
i'm trying to get rid of my cantonese accent
well, from what i've heard, many cantonese speakers only use the tip of their throats, vocal chord, voice box...whatever you call it, thus creating a really monotone-ish accent, which is also known as the cantonese accent. my accent isn't really that bad, i speak english at school and at home, but i just want to shake it off, after realising that my accent makes me sound high pitched and wierd... and get an English one (but not too poshy), Australian one, Canadian, or even American.
so, any tips?
footyGIRL
guest lee chan   Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:32 am GMT
i sink everybuddy is gay
Mirror   Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:15 pm GMT
Do you read Chinese characters? Here's someone extraordinarily obsessed with learning English in a "British" accent:
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/siu82english/article?mid=3357&fid=6
He will tell you that you shouldn't make your lips in a bugle shape when pronouncing "bird" or "girl" ...
Personally, as long as it doesn't impede understanding, who cares what accent you got? I find Italian speaking English kinda cute!