Her and I are/She and I are

Guest   Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:13 pm GMT
I sometimes hear "Her and I are...." instead of "She and I are...". For example: Kirsten Dunst says on the Spiderman 2 Bonus DVD: "Her (Rosemary Harris) and I are the stunt queens." This sounds unnatural to me, because "Her and I are" is the subject of the sentence. Can somebody explain this to me?
Aquatar   Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
It's not officially correct English, but you will hear things like ' me and her went to the cinema'. Quiet often English speakers use the object pronoun where strictly speaking it should be the subject. However there are only certain instances where you can do this and it varies as to how acceptable each is seen to be. For example, most people now accept 'It's him' as correct English and not 'It is he'. Something like 'He is taller than me' will often be heard, although some would insist that it should be 'He is taller than I am'. Using the object pronouns for when you mention two people plus a verb is on even shakier ground. Many people do it, but many people also pick up on it and correct it. It is still seen as bad English, and would certainly not be viewed well in written form. After all if you are only talking about one person doing something, you still have to use the subject pronoun, you would never say 'Me went to town', so it kind of follows that you shouldn't say 'me and her went to town.
JakubikF   Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:35 pm GMT
As a student I must say that if I consider the example "he is taller than me", it looks for me just normal and correct. It is a little suprise for me, what shows that this manner of the istance's usage (mentioned above) has left english-speaking countries.
Robin   Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:21 am GMT
"Her and I are...."

Is definately wrong.

"he is taller than me",

Is fine.

In Scotland: the grammar is idiomatic. I will search the Web to see if I can find you some instances.

I am thinking of Rastafarian type expressions like: "I and I"

Scottish people will say something like:

Its no bad thing.

Whereas the correct grammar would be more like:

Its not a bad thing.

A common expression in the UK is:

"No can do!"
Robin   Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:21 am GMT
"Her and I are...."

Is definately wrong.

"he is taller than me",

Is fine.

In Scotland: the grammar is idiomatic. I will search the Web to see if I can find you some instances.

I am thinking of Rastafarian type expressions like: "I and I"

Scottish people will say something like:

Its no bad thing.

Whereas the correct grammar would be more like:

Its not a bad thing.

A common expression in the UK is:

"No can do!"
Vladimir   Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:53 am GMT
The same thing when "it's me" sounds more natural than "it's I". Some time ago many teachers insisted that "it is I" should be correct. There is even a joke that when somebody knocked at the paradise door, St Peter asked who was there and when answered: "It's I", he said: "No room for grammar teachers!"