What does "nach" mean?!

Meesh   Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:07 am GMT
After two futile attempts, I am trying a third time to figure out what "nach" means in the following sentence:

Ich gehe nicht nach Haus.

I have used various German-English dictionaries, but predictably, the word "nach" does not usually stand alone. Therefore, the question arises. What does "nach" mean in this context?

To Brennus,

I am sorry for other "trolls" or "trouble-makers" on this forum, but believe me when I say that I am a pacifist. Like you, I hate when people start to mindlessly bicker over stupid controversy.

I am deeply offended that you would delete both my previous threads on the grounds of suspicion. I don't think that I should have been punished for someone else's mistakes.

Despite this, I still hold you in high esteem for what you do for this forum and the input that you provide.

<3 meesh

Meesh,

Thank you. We'll see how it goes!

---Brennus - Moderator.
mike   Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:42 am GMT
nach, zu, auf ...are all having the meaning "to". that confuses me a bit
greg   Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:46 am GMT
Meesh,

Al <ich gehe nach Haus(e)> = Fr <je vais à la maison> <je vais chez moi> <je rentre>.
kim   Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:58 am GMT
Guest1   Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
"Nach" in the sense used above means "to." It can also mean "toward" and "after" (Nachmittag-afternoon). It derives from the same Germanic root words as English "nigh" which means "near/close to". It is from this original meaning that all the German meanings have evolved, each depending on the viewpoint of the speaker or the object being spoken about.
meesh   Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:17 am GMT
Thanks everyone for your speedy responses. And thanks, Kim, for the helpful link!

<3 meesh

Now that wasn't so hard, was it, Mr. Brennus? ^_^
Benjamin   Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm GMT
In this case, it's almost a slightly idiomatic expression:

ich bin zu Hause — I am (at) home
ich gehe nach Hause — I go home
ion   Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:14 pm GMT
Meesh,

Benjamin is giving you a good example. "Nach" usually indicates a motion, a move directed toward something (house)...

ZU, is a situation, a state, a circumstance - it is absorbing/including a motion...

In other contexts, NACH means -ATFER!
ion   Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:18 pm GMT
Errata :

please read correct: ZU.......-it is NOT absorbing /including a motion