What is the origine of the Slavic word, liubliu ?

Ion   Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:55 pm GMT
Sorry, I don't know know the infinitive present form of the verb! Please accept it as it is...I appologise!

The question came up in my mind after I saw a similarity in pronunciation (and even as sense) with the Latin word, JUBILARE.

If this similarity is not a simple coincidence, what is the explanation then?

Thank you!
Real Deal   Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:53 am GMT
liubliu means I love
Ion   Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:40 pm GMT
Real Deal

Thank you, Real Deal! I know that Ya liubliu tebia (sorry for the spelling) means I love you. I was looking for the etiology of this word and I wanted to know if it has the same root with the Latin JUBILARE.
JakubikF   Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 pm GMT
I can say something about the comparison between polish and russian meaning of this word. It could help you.

So... as far as I know, in both languages exist two words:
polish: lubić, kochać (się)
russian: любить, кохаться* (ljubit' ; kohat'sja)

And now the explanation:
lubić - like любить - love
kochać - love любить - like
kochać się - have sex кохаться - have sex

I suppose that the origin is not latin, nevertheless I couldn't even find the word "jubilare" in my latin dictionary. Are you sure that it is Latin?

*I think it must be an old form, which is not used now. The reason is I haven't found this word in any dictionary but there are a lot of websites which includes it.
Ion   Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:09 am GMT
Thank you, Jakubik! Yes, Jubilare is Latin and means Triumph, Satisfaction (after a victory, for example).
Guest   Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:18 pm GMT
OldAvatar

Jubilare, Jubilaues (Iubilare) is indeed a Latin word. Its origin are found in Jewish mithology.

Jubilaeus = In the Bible, a year when alienated property and land were restored, slaves were manumitted, debts were forgiven, and a general sabbatical year was observed in agriculture. It occurred once every 50 years, at the end of a series of seven sabbatical years as prescribed by the Book of Leviticus. In the Roman Catholic Church, the name is applied to a holy year when special privileges are given for the pilgrimage to Rome. The first holy year was celebrated in 1300. The pope proclaimed (1343) that holy years would recur at 50-year intervals; in 1470, the interval was reduced to 25 years. Extraordinary jubilees celebrated the 50th anniversary of Pope Pius XI's ordination (1929) and the conclusion of the Second Vatican Council (1966).
OldAvatar   Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
Legio II Traiana Fortis was founded in 105 AD by Emperor Trajan, needing reinforcements for his Dacian campaigns. This legion was formed by Middle-East warriors and it's been stationed in Judeea for a long time. In fact, the base of the Legion was in Alexandria, Egypt. Many of these warriors have been decorated after the Dacian wars and when they finished the service within the Roman army, they received land in Dacia and colonised the region (Oltenia region). Some of these ex-soldiers, at that time, could still use the custom of "Iubilare" (initial "Jewish custom"). So, this could be an explanation of Romanian word "Iubire", interesting indeed, but still not very convincing...
Ion   Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:25 pm GMT
Thank you!

I'm a little confused now by Guest when is saying that its origine is found in Jewish mithology....It sounds like its origine is Jewish and not Latin!?!

And coming banck to the initial question: Is there any relation between LIUBLIU and IUBILARE?

Regards!
Guest   Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:38 pm GMT
"Iubilare" is Latin, but its early origins could be found in a Jewish custom...

I don't know of any relation between those two words, "Liubit" and "Iubilare"...
Ion   Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 pm GMT
I understand! Thank you , Guest!
OldAvatar   Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:22 pm GMT
Also, please notice that, at Trajan's time, Alexandria was the biggest Jewish city of the entire Roman Empire. Legio II Trajana Fortis, involved in Dacian wars, had its command center in Alexandria...

Still, only suppositions...
Guest 123   Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:12 pm GMT
Hm...
Just bumped to this forum when I was searching for something totaly different....and attracted my attention.
the word "liubliu" sounds Russian to me. I'm from Slovenia (NOT Slovakia :) ). We have very similar word for love (ljubiti). I don't think that the roots of the word are in Romanic language. What is more, if I compare the word with Croatian or Serbian word for love (voliti) the root changes, so I'd say it is originaly Russian word.
JUBILARE sounds very Italian and I'd say it means something joyfull that repeats - like anniversary. It's sounds simmilar to our word "jubilej" which means great anniversary / jubilee.

I hope I helped.
Regards
IOn   Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:38 am GMT
Guest 123

Thank you Guest123! Yes you helped!

I appreciate that!

Best regards!
Sergio   Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 pm GMT
Hi Guest123,

I have a question for you. Between Slovakian and Croatian, which language is closer to Slovenian?
augustin717   Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:05 pm GMT
Deriving the Romanian verb "iubi/iubire" from " iubilare" doesn't make much sense:
1. there is no reasonable connexion between "iubilare" (to exult, to be exceedingly glad) and "iubi" (to love).
2. if the Romanian verb "a iubi" came from "iubilare", then it should sound * a iuba, since "iubilare" belongs to the first conjugation class of verbs, as "laudare" inherited by Romanian in the normal and predictable form 'lauda".
3. We have the slavic form 'liubiti", from which is the EASIEST way to derive, both phonetically and semantically the Romanian verb 'iubi".