Who cut off the Queen's vowels?

Adam   Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:26 pm GMT
Is there such a thing as "Queen's English" nowadays? The Queen's pronounciation of many words is much different from what it was in the 1950s and 1960s when she spoke more "posh". These days, her accent sounds more......."common."

As today's Sun newspaper say -

THE Queen’s accent is getting less POSH, according to a study of her Christmas speeches.

Professor Jonathan Harrington, who analysed the voice of Her Majesty said: “In 1952 she would have said, ‘Thet men in the bleck het.’ Now it would be, ‘That man in the black hat.’”

Who cut off the Queen's vowels?

By Andrew O'Hagan

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 05/12/2006

Diana, Princess of Wales was cruelly thwarted in her attempt to half-inch the crown from 'er Indoors, but she certainly left a mark on all areas of monarchic life. For instance, in the good old 1970s, it was impossible, at least in our house, to work out what the Queen was actually saying: "I yem speccing frem ar herm en the grends ev Beckinghem Pals." Cor blimey, how we'd scratch our noggins and roll the old meat pies to the ceiling: what was the Anointed One trying to impart?

In the years since then, the Queen has increasingly shaped her vowels to meet the people's pleasure, and one can't help but imagine that Diana's popularity — to say nothing of Tony Blair's oiliness and the nation's worship of Ant & Dec — must somehow have played its part in persuading Her Majesty that Joyce Grenfell on Xanax was not the sound of the future.

In any event, the Queen now sounds a bit like Dot from EastEnders, without so much of the innate haughtiness and the sense of entitlement. It wasn't quite form in the old days to speak of oneself being "happy", but if, in a fit of high spirits on Christmas Day, the Queen made reference to that famous condition, she would tend to say she was "heppi", as in "one wez heppi to note the success ev the referbishmentz et Windsaw Caseel". But now we must contend with the sovereign being constantly "happee", like someone from Girls Aloud.

How far down is the Queen likely to go in her plunge from the Queen's English? Is it a matter of the occasional estuary vowel laying itself like a desperate lover over the tracks of her ancient pronunciation, or will we soon witness our Queen in full gangsta flow, issuing the kind of verbal bulletins on Christmas Day that might make Jamie Oliver sound like Noel Coward?

I got a bit worried about this — worried she mightn't cope — so I marked up a copy of the Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang and sent it over to the palace by courier. Since the Russian poisoning thing must surely be on her mind, I circled a few words that might slip nicely into her new lingo.

Like "hunk", adj. "to get hunk with", "to get even". Ex. "Suppose I show you how to get hunk with the cheapskates?" And Mickey Mouse, as in, "That's a right Mickey Mouse operation you're running over there".

Not even a thank you. Which just goes to show that good manners as well as speech are slipping at the palace. But then it occurred to me that maybe the Queen was getting all "happee" because of her grandsons William and Harry.

After all, there's something to be said for keeping up with the youth of today, especially when they spend half their time wearing their baseball caps backwards at China White, as opposed to engaging in more traditional pursuits for royal siblings, such as hanging out down the Embassy Club with Peter Sellers.

In that sense, the Queen is doing rather well. She's keeping up with the new generation — busy as they are, organising a big pop bash next year to remember their mother — and also tuning in to what the times are saying. And what they are saying is, "Show us yer care, Ma'am. You're one of us, intcha?"

This may be the major British social trend of our time, of course: the urge to see the pop-culturing of everything as a form of pure democracy, but watching it happen in relation to the Queen is actually — despite my attempt to help her out — making me rather nostalgic for the old, unyielding royal position.

If I have to have a monarch at all, do I want one who sounds like Denise Van Outen? Or is there not, as with brown sauce and with fresh cockles, something rather charming and eccentric and vinegary in the old style?

I'll tell you summink, though. When it comes to it, I'd much sooner have a Queen whose habits are directed by moribund tradition than by a pack of PR consultants. It seems Tony Blair's "classless" society can go only in one direction — into the gutter of crowd-pleasing uniformity, where everyone must sound the same in order to prove they are "real".

For me, even the ludicrous should be encouraged in British life if it guarantees the survival of difference. We are not one people, but many, and that is the point currently being flattened along with the old vowels and the old notions of class. A rather totalitarian urge lies behind the bullying of people because of how they speak, with tabloid populism as the ducking stool du jour.

We happen to have a writer who saw all this coming: Shakespeare. His monarchs are full of glory and menace, and are in fear of being "unvoiced" by tavern-haunters whose verbal rowdiness might appear to question a king's authenticity.

Watch how the present sovereign appears to be in courtship to the common people, how she seems to dive into their hearts, with humble and familiar courtesy. It was Shakespeare's Richard II who pointed out this sometimes needful tendency, a tendency that we now see shaping the present Queen's speech.

And for Richard II, it all comes down to just that, speech: in time, his tongue is "but a stringless instrument". In a passage that did not please Dr Johnson, Shakespeare nails the matter when he speaks movingly of the "senseless brands" — hot irons — that will "sympathise the heavy accent of thy moving tongue".

So has Elizabeth II fallen foul to the senseless brands of our own time? Perhaps. But the grey advisers behind her are more likely the responsible parties: they feel that no form of management is too much to bring a modern monarch into line with the people's sympathies.

Those who like to clap in church have the upper hand in modern life. Readers, beware. Monarchs, take flight. The great populists are ready to throw you down the apples and pears [[stairs]] for the sin of being yourself.

telegraph.co.uk
Adam   Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:29 pm GMT
Every Christmas Day at 3pm, the Queen makes a speech to the nation on TV - the Christmas Speech. Researchers have notes that, as the years go by, she sounds less and less posh.
Lazar   Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:22 am GMT
Adam, your copy-and-paste skills fail to disappoint. Bravo!
Rocio   Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:12 pm GMT
Wish I could hear that speech! Guess we don´t have an English channel in my cable :( can anyone record it and send it here? hehehe..
I can't help it...I love RP pronunciation...BBC English, Queen´s English, as you want to call it...listening to James Blunt speaking is just music to my ears :)
Liz   Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:52 pm GMT
James Blunt doesn't speak Oueen's English.
Terr   Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:13 pm GMT
It has become a sad, sad day, when people are debating how a queen talks...whether it's POSH or COMMON... "Oh, my! Look, look! She's wearing *marroon* today!" "Oh gosh! Is she really talking like an Aussie?" Is this truely what you people spend your time thinking and speaking about? What has this world come to? I'm sure SHE doesn't give shite on whether or not you people notice what accent she has. Honestly...
User   Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:44 pm GMT
Well, obviously she isn't going to be speaking the same way as she did many years ago. Everyone changes a little bit. She may have introduced some features that make her sound a *little* bit lower class, but that doesn't mean she speaks like a commoner. I think her Cockney imitation was pretty funny though. She's really good at faking various accents.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:16 pm GMT
They featured this issue on a TV program and showed a clipping from an old black and white TV Christmas Message given by the Queen on Christmas Day in 1961. Apparently she did the broadcasts live in those days. She was 35 by then but her voice was SO different from what it is today. That's natural, but there's no doubt that she has deliberately altered her mode of speech from that she was brought up with (remember the Queen - like her late sister Margaret - was the last Royal to be privately educated in the seclusion of the Royal Palaces). The way she spoke in those days is excruciating to listen to now. In the clip I mention she ended her message with:

"Ay howp you awl hev a vairy Heppy Christmas and a Heppy Niu Yah"

Eeek!

Just as well as she (as did Margaret Thatcher) underwent elocution lessons to do something about her strained vowels (in the case of the Queen) and her strident high pitched School Marm type screech in the case of the former Prime Minister Thatcher.
Fred   Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:38 pm GMT
>> ""Ay howp you awl hev a vairy Heppy Christmas and a Heppy Niu Yah" " <<

Um. Wow, fauxnetics are funny. That's the same way I would transcribe someone from Chicago, except for the last word:

""Ay howp you awl hev a vairy Heppy Christmas and a Heppy Niu Yihr" "

So, what sounds weird about it??
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:01 pm GMT
***So, what sounds weird about it??***

Practically everything. Nobody these days speaks the way the Queen did in the dim and distant, unless they are the Queen's age, or even older. Sorry, Ma'am but you did make a "thing" about being 80 did ye no?

When I have time I'll try to locate some website with audio recordings of th Queen's old time speeches or Christmas messages, like this 1961 broadcast on the UK media when this story broke about the way Lizzie has changed her vocals since then. To British ears now it's either painful or just plain hilarious to hear the way the English English "upper classes" spoke in the past. It's like hearing old time Americans saying something like: "Hev a naice day!" Unlikely, but I'm just making a point here.
Fredrik from Norway   Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:52 am GMT
Audio samples of the Queen's still unattractively uptight speech during the years:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=BLOGDETAIL&grid=P30&blog=yourview&xml=/news/2006/12/04/ublview04c.xml
Guest   Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:54 am GMT
As an American, I would say that I like her 1958 speech best. I think she is ruining her accent by bringing it in line with the accent of the lower classes.