Tongue Exercise

Alex007   Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:35 am GMT
Hey there!I recently stumbled upon a great pronunciation/voice clarity exercise that has helped me a whole lot during the past few months and I'm sure it will help you too.

Now, first I'd like to mention that I am not a native speaker.I moved to Los Angeles,California from Ukraine in 2000 when I was ten years old.Yes,I am a teenager yet, contrary to the popular belief, me being young has not helped me a whole lot when it comes to English pronunciation.I mastered all other aspects of American English quite a long time ago yet still struggle with pronouncing certain words on a daily basis.

I figured my problem lies in my tongue.It seems to be all over the place which slurs my speech thus affecting my pronunciation.It's already a given fact that the position of one's tongue, when pronouncing words, is vital for clear speech and diction.I think most people whose native languages differ vastly from English (i.e. Chinese,Russian,Arabic, etc) have the hardest time learning how to form proper positions with their own tongue to produce vowels & constants because they are just so different from what they are used to.

So,anyway,I will get right to the point already:flexibility of the tongue = freedom to tackle any pronunciation of words.The method I am about to show you is somewhat controversial and may just seem downright silly but,trust me, it makes a difference.I've recently read that Ancient Greek orators used to put rock pebbles in their mouths before giving speeches.After about ten to fifteen minutes of practicing their speech like that they went out and spoke with better clarity.You see,the rocks serve as an obstacle for your tongue.When you try to talk they force the tongue to move more and after repeated practice your tongue becomes more flexible.

Start out with a fair amount of rock pebbles.Practice reading,speaking,talking for about fifteen minutes each day whilst holding rocks inside your mouth.After every few weeks reduce the amount by one rock.Be sure to try your hardest pronouncing every single sound in the word that you are reading - that is important because it adapts your tongue to that style of pronunciation.As you progress eventually you will be able to speak better even when your tongue faces tough opposition.Once you are able to do that imagine how clearly you will be able to speak when your tongue is free to move about.

This method has not been proven.I won't guarantee it will work for everybody...but,hey, it never hurts to try something new when there is a chance it may do a lot of good.Even after the first time I tried this I've noticed my tongue moving more "freely" then before.Persistence is the key though.After a month I predict my progress will be considerable.

Share your thoughts on this if you'd like =)
Clarie   Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:22 am GMT
I can't help but wonder about the number of pebbles that one can put inside his mouth without being adequately worried if he will be able to say his piece 'correctly' without the risk of swallowing one. ;)

But if it works, then it works, right? :)

Personally though, I prefer the traditional elocution classes. Even if one has to give an arm and leg because of the fees.

Clarie <3