Which English accent is the most popular today?

Ciocio   Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:46 am GMT
Originally I mean the most popular English accent as meaning the one that is most admired (henced liked/imitated). I guess is it General American English?
Ciocio   Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 am GMT
And native speakers and non-native speakers alike
Frodo   Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:18 pm GMT
Yes, American English is particularly in vogue due to the American pop culture. Especially among the young people.
Guest   Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:13 am GMT
I agree. The what are the appeals of Amerian pop culture, which seems to make youngsters the world over fall head over heels about it?
American Idiot   Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:32 am GMT
I'm a young American myself, and I hate pop :(
Pete   Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:46 am GMT
What do you exactly mean... "American pop culture"?
Anyway, I would say that American English is more popular in countries throughout the world, but not so in Europe. It must be something they hold against our funny little friend Bush, and in some weird way, this feeling is being moved towards the American accent.
Long ago, I became a bit obsessed with this English accent thing, and I was arguing with everyone about the Posh upper-RP being the best accent. Well, bollocks... That would help if you want to get a job in the BBC, or maybe if you want to go to America and make your life as an actor... Hugh Grant sort of thing. But for practical uses... a more down-to-earth accent is better, since no one will think you are a snob and you are gonna have no trace of uppity in your speech...
And for the bloke above, who said that non-native speakers can't actually choose an accent... let me tell you that you are wrong. Some people manage to learn a particular accent, not perfect maybe. But good enough to confuse native speakers.
When I finished my studies I watched and repeated American films everyday, all the time... practised all the time... I even learnt to rap like Eminem... But then I decided it was time for a change and started to train meself on the pronunciation of RP English. It was cool for a while... to speak like a royal I mean... But then I watched some English films until I chose someone to imitate... It was a North London accent, and I liked it very much.

Oh and Merry Christmas
Pete   Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:56 am GMT
But Sarf Landun accent's the real fink, mate!!
Now, How about goin' to a Ringo fer some Britney's?
But I ain't got the bees 'n' 'oney so yer gonna 'ave ter pay, chief!
Bloody 'ell! 'ave a butcher's at the cockney, guv! it's about time to get sum Soot...
See ya, mate.

Pete from Peru
Down under   Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:24 am GMT
AUSSIE ACCENT,

I love it
navid - IRAN   Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:45 am GMT
I THINK AMERICAN IS THE MOST POPULAR SINCE SPEAKING AND UNDERESTANDING IT, IS EASIER THAN OTHERS. MOST OF ENGLISH LEARNERS ASK THEIR LISTENING TEACHERS TO PLAY SOME VOA NEWS FOR THEIR TRANSCRIPTION RATHER THAN BBC.
Pete   Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
Now that I think about it I've come to this conclussion... To some extent I think American English is more popular than other dialects, but it's not like we have much of a choice really, it's in fact due to a lack of knowledge about the other dialects.

Before I learnt English, Standard American English was the only one, I didn't even questioned myself about what the accent was like, or other issues regarding this particular dialect. It was a natural thing for me, I subconciously (if that's a word, well y'know) had the idea that every native speaker spoke English that way, like the Americans.

I did know that the British were somewhat different, as they were portrayed in American soaps. When you see an English person in a soap they show you the image of a refined man/woman, speaking in a sophisticated manner, and being kind and polite in general. Although Americans sometimes mentioned the accent, it's something we, Peruvians couldn't realise since the soaps were dubbed into Spanish. The accent stuff is lost then. The average person usually doesn't know about England and Britain being different things either. At that time, I didn't know they spoke English in South Africa. So anyway...

But when you're learning the language, you discover lots of new things, thing you could never imagine before. That's when you hear the term British English and start to think about it. What is it like? is it different in many ways from American English? does he/she have "a British accent"?
And you see those differences and really start to learn, that it's not "all" American, there are other speaking countries apart from America and England, and as in every language in the world each country has its own particular accent.

Well, I'll get this straight... For any average person, who doesn't speak English, American English is more popular, since "English" itself as a language is popular. For someone who speaks English as a second language (and usually they learn American English, that's something we can't deny), American English should be the most popular since you hear it everywhere. Now, someone who speaks English and knows about the different accents and the cultural differences between English-speaking peoples have more... say... choice and knowledge to decide which variety they prefer.

Kind regards

Pete
Pete   Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:48 pm GMT
<<...When you see an English person in a soap they show you the image of a refined man/woman, speaking in a sophisticated manner, and being kind and polite in general...>>

Well, about the "being kind and polite in general" bit... we'll discuss it later. ;)

Pete

P.S.- No sarcasm intended, eh! lol
Uriel   Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 am GMT
Well, it's later now -- discuss, Pete.
I hate being kept in suspense!
Pete   Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:57 am GMT
Well, I'm sorry, Uriel. there's no one else to continue the debate. And as I don't usually talk to mylesf I guess I'll leave it there. Besides the answer for the original question in this thread is evident. And there are other topics which seem more interesting.

Kind regards

Pete
01SB   Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:08 pm GMT
Personally, I think the American English accent has indeed become more popular worldwide.

The reasons for this have almost nothing to do with the accent itself but with the dominance of the US as a global political and economic power. English itself is a global language because the last two superpowers back-to-back have been English speaking. But as Britain gave way to the US, so too has the BE accent to the AE one.

When you hear of Indian call centres coaching their employees to use AE, that's a surefire indicator. In my experience, the Indians have traditionally been pretty conservative about their English, opting unfailingly for BE RP as the most desirable accent.

But more and more, they do seem to be choosing AE.

And economics is the reason.
Suresh   Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:34 pm GMT
Yes! you are absolutely correct 01SB.

We follow the American Accent than the British.