the glottal stop

duke   Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:02 am GMT
how would you explain the insertion of a glottal stop in between two vowels? i understand what it is i'm just trying to explain why and how it is used.
User   Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:31 am GMT
I'm not exactly sure what you want, but the glottal stop is the sound made when the vocal cords are pressed together to stop the flow of air and then released.
duke   Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:49 am GMT
i did not know that so that helps me know how it is used, but im still trying to find out "why?" we do it.
Fred   Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:30 am GMT
I would suggest that it is merely an affectation. It's use identifies one as a member of the noble working class. Often used by middle managers in an exaggerated way to enhance their 'one of the boys' credentials.
Guest   Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:48 am GMT
Fred, r u sure that glottal stop is merely an affectation? I wish so.
You see, take "Great!" as an example. If glottal stop occurs, it is on the last syllable /t/, right? I just feel it is perfectly OK to pronounce /t/, rather than use glottal stop.
By the way, what r the differences between glottal stop and aspiration of voiceless stop consnants?
Liz   Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:55 pm GMT
The relationship between an aspirated "t" and a glottal stop is that of complementary distribution. When t-s are aspirated, you can't use glottal stops instead. For example:
the "t" in "retain" is aspirated and can't be glottalised
whereas the "t" in "city" is unaspirated and therefore can be glottalised (it widely used, however, it is regarded as non-standard)

Fred,
what do you mean by "noble working-class"?
Guest   Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
I'm not so sure that a glottalised T in "city" is widely used. I think it's a British only thing. At least I've only heard Cockneys pronounce it in such a way.

In Australian English the T is normally flapped (what people think is a kind of a D sound). Sometimes it's realised as a true T in careful speech.
Lazar   Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:08 am GMT
<<what do you mean by "noble working-class"?>>

I suppose Fred is saying that some people use it out of a sense of anti-elitism, trying to fit in with working-class people. I'm not going to get involved in that debate. ;-)

Anyway, the use of a glottal stop between two vowels, like in "city", tends to be a characteristic of vernacular London English and Scottish English. In other dialects, such as Australian English (to some extent) and especially North American English, the "t" in words like "city" instead tends to be pronounced as a flap (sort of like a lightly-pronounced "d" sound).
Travis   Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:10 am GMT
>>Anyway, the use of a glottal stop between two vowels, like in "city", tends to be a characteristic of vernacular London English and Scottish English. In other dialects, such as Australian English (to some extent) and especially North American English, the "t" in words like "city" instead tends to be pronounced as a flap (sort of like a lightly-pronounced "d" sound).<<

Even though in informal speech in some NAE dialects (my dialect really has this, but this can be found in other dialects to varying extents as well it seems), flaps can be dropped altogether (note that such does not happen to /t/ or /d/ in positions where they are not flapped). It is also very common in informal speech in NAE dialects for word-final /t/ that could be glottal-stopped to be elided altogether, especially in words that are unstressed (and especially grammar words). Note that this does not apply, though, to medial glottal stops, which are always preserved. Furthermore, other word-final (and sometimes even medial) consonant clusters such as /st/ tend to extremely commonly be realized without [t] in informal speech in NAE dialects as well.
Guest   Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:44 pm GMT
Travis
Could u give me some examples for illustration?