see you two weeks later

chikako   Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:00 am GMT
Hello guys!

I'm an English beginner. I'd like to ask one question.

"I'll see you two weeks later", does it sound unnatural to you? If so, please tell me the reason. I'm wondering why it is wrong, because I know you often say "See you later" or "I'll see you later". I know "I'll see you in two weeks" is the correct form. What I want to know is just why "I'll see you two weeks later" is wrong.

Thank you in advance and I wish a merry Christmas to you all.
santa   Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:53 am GMT
"I'll see you in two weeks" sounds more natural to me...but I'm not a native English speaker.

Merry Christmas!
Guest   Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:54 am GMT
ah, didn't read your message properly, sorry!
Can't help you!
12IE   Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:05 pm GMT
"chikako":

Out of any context, "I'll see you two weeks later" does sound stilted.

The problem is with "later" because it's a comparative so must be used in relation to some other reference. If you say "See you two weeks later" to me just like that, I'm immediately thinking "later than what?"

In the following example, notice how "I'll see you two weeks later" now sounds fine because it is placed in context.:

"Well, I'm flying to Trieste tomorrow and I know you'll be in Venice but I won't have time to come and visit you. But don't worry, I'll see you two weeks later in Milan."

Used just as a farewell statement, combining "later" and "two weeks" is too much future time reference. Simply say:

"[I'll] see you later"

"[I'll] see you in two weeks"

"[I'll] see you two weeks from now"

I wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas!
NgocNguyen   Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:28 am GMT
Dear all,

I'm not well in English but I like to study English very much.
I think the sentence "I'll see you two weeks later" is always right until I read the instruction from Chikako

I'm very glad to be studied from all of you.

Thanks very much & nice to meet you.

NgocNguyen