German's easier aspects

Guest   Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 pm GMT
OK, German grammar might be harder than English overall, but here are three things which are easier (and two much easier):

1. Tenses - German tenses are much easier, no progressive, not much distinction between simple past and present perfect especially in the spoken language, plus the use of 'do' in English i.e. 'I go' or I do go' although I am not sure this is a tense strictly speaking. Also talking about the future is much easier.

2. The verb 'werden' - can be translated in English as 'to become', to get', 'to go'. Also with the passive in English, it's always with 'werden' in German, and officially it's always with 'to be' in English', but actually there are a lot of instances where a native speaker would use 'to get', and it would sound too weak with 'to be' i.e. 'he got run over', 'he was run over' doesn't quite get it across. German always uses 'werden' for this type of construction.

3. Word order - at first sight German word order seems more complicated, but actually it ALWAYS follows the same rules (discounting poetic licence). Learners of English learn it follows SVO, which ,mostly it does, but there are times when the word order has to be inverted i.e. 'On the wall sat a ginger cat', Only then did he realise...' It is also further complicated by the need to add the verb 'to do' in some of these inverted word order sentences, but not all. Therefore, although you can get by learning the SVO order of English, to learn it properly, it would take more effort to learn the word order than for German. It's actually hard to think of the times when the inverted word order would be used, but read any paper or book and you will see it often. Also adverbial expressions, as sometimes the adverb goes before the finite verb in English, sometimes after i.e. 'He always goes', 'he can always go'. In German the finite verb goes second, end of story, unless it is a subordinate clause but then that is a rule that always applies, and is therefore not hard to grasp.
Meesh   Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:01 pm GMT
Granted, there may be some easier aspects, but they do not compensate for the harder aspects!

Meesh
JR   Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
Yes quite right!

Also, I would add pronnunciation and spelling to the list of Easier aspects. Its not nearly as crazy as it is in English.
Meesh   Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:52 am GMT
Yes, pronunciation and spelling in German is pretty much straightforward with the exception of certain words. In English however, it seems almost arbitrary.

Meesh.