How to pronounce conditional incluir and retirar

Brad   Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
I don't understand why people say Spanish pronunciation is easy!!!

I've studied the language for 3 semesters and I found out yesterday that some r's are pronounced like a d.

Can someone break down the pronounciation of the conditional retirar and incluir in english for me.

For example, pe - do is the word pero or but.

Is incluiria.... In - clue - ear - e -a

and is retiraria.... RR - et - e - da - d -a

Please help as I am struggling with these types of words.
JGreco   Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:34 am GMT
some of what you wrote down is subject to where a person is from....
for instance I would pronounce "incluiria" een-cloo-eh-ree-ah, and "retiraria" reh-tee-rah-ree-ah. I actually don't pronounce my single "r's" like d's though I have heard some people pronounce it that way which tends to annoy me. Another thing that annoy's me is the way certain people pronounce "t's" in spanish. People have to realize the spanish t's and english t's are completely different. I heard singers such as Ricky Martin pronounce his t's like in english. The best way to describe the spanish "t" pronunciation wise is more like in between a "th" sound and a "t" sound .
Brad   Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:04 am GMT
JGreco

Thanks
Guest   Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:19 am GMT
It's not necessarily a "d" sound. Because the Spanish R is an alveolar trill, a short trill sounds similar to a D. After all, the tongue is hitting the alveolar ridge.

So what's the solution? When a word starts with an R, the R has a longer trill. When the R is in the middle of the word or at the end of a word, the trill is shorter and sounds close to a D, but not quite.

If there is a double R in the middle of a word, it has a longer trill as well.

Meesh.