Water related words

Arbër Z   Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
I would be very interested to know the words related to water, in your language.

Albanian

Ujë - Water
Lumë - River
Det - Sea
Rrymë - Stream (water stream)
Dallgë - Wave (strong sea or ocean wave)
Valë - Wave (soft wave)
Shi - Rain
Vesë - Morning rain drops
Pikë uji - Water Drop
Oqean - Ocean
Ujëvarë - Waterfall
Akull - Ice
Borë - Snow
Liqen - Lake
I lagur - wet
I njomë - wet
Lëng - Liquid

Thank you in advance
Latino in Canada   Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:32 pm GMT
Spanish

Agua- Water
Río - River
Mar- Sea
Corriente - Stream (water stream)
Onda, corriente oceanica- Wave (strong sea or ocean wave)
Onda - Wave (soft wave)
Lluvia- Rain
Rocío- Morning rain drops
Océano- Ocean
Catarata- Waterfall
Hielo- Ice
Nieve- Snow
Lago- Lake
Mojado, humedo - wet
Liquido - Liquid
Spaniard in Spain   Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:43 pm GMT
Wave is ola in Spanish. Onda is ripple.
Rocío: dew
Guest   Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
There are several meanings. I chose the first one that came to my mind.

wave Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, waved, wav·ing.
–noun 1. a disturbance on the surface of a liquid body, as the sea or a lake, in the form of a moving ridge or swell.
2. any surging or progressing movement or part resembling a wave of the sea: a wave of the pulse.
3. a swell, surge, or rush, as of feeling or of a certain condition: a wave of disgust sweeping over a person; a wave of cholera throughout the country.
4. a widespread feeling, opinion, tendency, etc.: a wave of anti-intellectualism; the new wave of installment buying.
5. a mass movement, as of troops, settlers, or migrating birds.
6. an outward curve, or one of a series of such curves, in a surface or line; undulation.
7. an act or instance of waving.
8. a fluttering sign or signal made with the hand, a flag, etc.: a farewell wave.
9. natural waviness of the hair, or a special treatment to impart waviness: to have a wave in one's hair; to get a shampoo and a wave.
10. a period or spell of unusually hot or cold weather.
11. Physics. a progressive disturbance propagated from point to point in a medium or space without progress or advance by the points themselves, as in the transmission of sound or light.
12. Literary. a. water.
b. a body of water.
c. the sea.

13. (at sports events, esp. baseball games) a momentary standing and sitting back down by spectators in a sequential, lateral way to create, en masse, a wavelike effect visually.
–verb (used without object) 14. to move freely and gently back and forth or up and down, as by the action of air currents, sea swells, etc.: The flags were waving in the wind.
15. to curve alternately in opposite directions; have an undulating form: The road waved along the valley.
16. to bend or sway up and down or to and fro, as branches or plants in the wind.
17. to be moved, esp. alternately in opposite directions: The woman's handkerchief waved in encouragement.
18. to give a signal by fluttering or flapping something: She waved to me with her hand.
–verb (used with object) 19. to cause to flutter or have a waving motion in: A night wind waves the tattered banners.
20. to cause to bend or sway up and down or to and fro: The storm waved the heavy branches of the elm.
21. to give an undulating form to; cause to curve up and down or in and out.
22. to give a wavy appearance or pattern to, as silk.
23. to impart a wave to (the hair).
24. to move, esp. alternately in opposite directions: to wave the hand.
25. to signal to by waving a flag or the like; direct by a waving movement: to wave a train to a halt; to wave traffic around an obstacle.
26. to signify or express by a waving movement: to wave a last good-bye.
—Idiom27. make waves, Informal. to disturb the status quo; cause trouble, as by questioning or resisting the accepted rules, procedures, etc.: The best way to stay out of trouble at the office is not to make waves.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wave

Arber z wrote the concept for dew, but he did not write the word. I answered him giving the word in spanish that express his concept.
Mr.Who   Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:21 pm GMT
In Spanish "ola" is related to the ones from the sea, the ones which touch the beach all the time, the ones who surfers ride on their boards: "la olas del mar" (the sea waves) not "las ondas del mar".
JGreco   Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm GMT
"In Spanish "ola" is related to the ones from the sea, the ones which touch the beach all the time, the ones who surfers ride on their boards: "la olas del mar" (the sea waves) not "las ondas del mar".

It depends, I have heard in some spanish variations onda referred to as ocean wave. "Onda" would refer to something like a radio wave normally.
Guest   Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 am GMT
voda-water
stremnina (obsolete)- stream
reka-river
ozero-lake
dozhd'- rain
moros'- drizzle
ruchei - spring
more- sea
okean- ocean
vlaga- humidity
tuman -mist
zhidkost' - liquid
kaplya -drop
rosa - dew
lyod - ice
volna -wave
val -billow
Mishuk   Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:24 am GMT
it was Russian
mishuk   Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:25 am GMT
sneg -snow
Mr.Who   Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:57 pm GMT
<<It depends, I have heard in some spanish variations onda referred to as ocean wave. "Onda" would refer to something like a radio wave normally.>>

Although 'onda' and 'ola' could be synonymous under certain conditions, f.e. 'ola de calor' = 'onda de calor' (wave of hot weather), as to the waters it's not the same thing since an "onda" in the sea ends normally as an "ola" on the beach.

Which Spanish variations ?
Guest   Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:38 pm GMT
Wasser -water
Strom - stream
Fluss - river
See - lake, Sea
Regen - rain
Meer - sea
Tau - dew
Eis - ice
Schnee - snow
Hagel - hail