In airport

lucky   Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:14 pm GMT
Hello,
Please help me!
I have never been to any foreign country.
Now I have to go to Japan. There is also a transit.
What steps I have to do in airport and what English sentences need I say?
Robin   Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:55 am GMT
I understand your problem. I have been contemplating something similar.

First of all, I would remain alert. Don't fall asleep, but be aware of your surroundings.

You do not actually say, where you are travelling from, and to.

I think that you need to know what sort of signs you are likely to experience i.e. Arrivals, Departures, Check In, Departure Lounge, Boarding, etc.

It is not easy, with a bit of luck, the Airport Staff will be there to help you.

Try and get the obvious things right. Use a bag of the correct size to take into the Cabin. In Europe, airlines are very suspicious of 'liquids'. Be aware of the general paranoia concerning bombs.

What ever you do, don't be tempted to say that you are carrying a bomb as a joke.

It is probably better not to get drunk.

Be aware that transporting 'food and drink' across international boundaries is not always straight forward.
Boy   Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:15 am GMT
Robin's adivce is ditto 100%. It is always nice to be simple. Don't take too many bags with you, just a hand carry would be enough if you didn't want to face problems. I am telling all of this because of security reasons. A couple of days ago my brother went back to New York after spending his vacations in Pakistan. He was scrutinized severely at the JFK airport and was asked questions llike did he visit other places other than Pakistan?...etc (Hint: Afghanistan...cough,cough). He also has an American passport but still he faces a lot of questions at the airports.

Also, dont make a mistake like my dad did. He brought a lot of four-blade-razors in his bag from usa, I think my mom had packed them unintentionally and no one noticed them at the airport in NY.
So please dont bring such harmless tools either. That's my advice and rest is upto you.
Uriel   Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:02 am GMT
You'll probably need to know:

Where is the ticket counter for (name of airline)?

What gate is my flight leaving from?

Which way is the baggage carousel?

My bags did not arrive. I need to file a lost luggage claim. This is the address where I will be staying. (It's happened to me more than once.)

Can I take this on board?

What time will we arrive?

How long is my layover?

I need to make a connecting flight in (name of city).

Here is my ticket/passport.

I have nothing to declare. (at customs)

How many bags can I check?

Where is the train station?

How many carry-on items can I take onto the plane?

Where do I pay the airport tax? (If memory serves, at least at Narita, you had to feed a couple thousand yen into a machine to pay this.)

What is the exchange rate of (your currency) to yen?

Why is there a whole gift shop devoted to nothing but vibrators? (No, I'm not kidding -- they had one last time I was there!)

The little heated towels they give you before the in-flight meal are lots of fun, too.

Ordering meals will be very easy, even if you have no idea what you're ordering or how to say it -- most restaurants have perfect little plastic replicas of every item they serve, and you can just point to what you want. The price should be on it as well.

Coffee, tea, juice, and beer come in vending machines, and they are all excellent, even if the cans are a little on the petite side. I never tried Pocari Sweat, though -- I'm sure it tastes better than it sounds, but no thanks.....

Don't forget please, thank you, and excuse me, of course. But just as a reminder, lucky -- not many people in Japan actually speak English, or if they do, speak it with any kind of fluency. In an international airport you'll probably find a few, but I would focus on learning Japanese, not English!
Robin   Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:24 pm GMT
My friend travelled from the UK to see Kenny Chesney in a concert in Buffalo. New York State. I advised to fly via Canada, so that he could get a cheaper ticket.

So far so good.

When he got to the States, he was interrogated. He has put him off going to the States again.

Well, maybe not.

He has the American Flag tattoed on the top of his right arm. I think he must have some sort of identity problem.

He also saw someone being shot in the street. Just part of the American Dream!
Uriel   Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:31 pm GMT
Canada? There are tons of cheap London-to-New-York flights. Then you just catch a quick hop upstate. Why involve a third country?

As for being "interrogated", well, flying is such a pain in the ass anymore that unless they used an electric cattle prod to solicit answers, I wouldn't sweat it too much.