IPA transcription

Stan   Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:10 pm GMT
Hello, there, I am not sure if I am pronouncing a few words right so when I attempt to transcribe them using the IPA, I get a bit confused. Perhaps I need someone to help me with these transcriptions. I; ve noticed that transcribing words greatly helps improve a person' s accent. Anyways, here' s what I mean.......

Rachel - at the end of this word I would put l (el) with a line below it....I am not sure though since I am tempted to write - schwa and then l.

river, ginger, rival - similar deal here - schwa and then l..am I on the right trach with this type

countenance - ....nIns..... I put a schwa after t and I after the second n..should it be a schwa?

lieutenants - nIns again..not very sure

Cheers,
Stanley
Kirk   Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:20 am GMT
Well, I assume you also know XSAMPA, and since we can't display IPA here I'll do it in XSAMPA. Here's a conversion chart if you don't know it.

http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/studerende/thorinn/xsamchart.gif

As I say them (I'm a native speaker):

Rachel ["r\etS.5=]
river ["r\I:.v@`]
ginger ["dZIn.dZ@`]
rival ["r\aI.v5=]
countenance ["k_h{U~?.n=.Ints]
lieutenants [lM."t_hE.nInts]
Brennus   Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:55 am GMT
Stan,

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/) will give you an idea of where the scwa sounds go if you look at its pronunciation orthography.
It may be the next best thing to a spelling in the International Phonetic Script. For a name like 'Rachel' you would want to look at a word that kind of rhymes with it like 'satchel' to tell where the schwa goes.

The XSAMPA mentioned by Kirk will certainly work as a substitute for the IPA on an English keyboard although learning it looks like a bit of hard work.
Kirk   Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:00 am GMT
One minor correction on "rival." I forgot the length marks :)

["r\aI:.v5=]

is how it should look.
stan   Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:49 pm GMT
Thanks for the help guys. I found that dictionary site quite useful. I am working on trying to understand XSAMPA so hopefully I will be able to post stuff using it very soon.

I am having trouble with stress (we are ignoring secondary stress) particularly when thinking of words with similar structure and different stress than given ones. For example one question in my book says to determine whether the following in Swahili are free or fixed stress.

pIga - hit,fight - here the stress is on the I
pigana - hit eachother - here the stress is on the first a
piganIfa - cause to hit - here the stress is on the
tutawapIga - we shall hit them - here the stress is on the I

I would say that they are examples of free stress.

The question also says to come up with words that have a similar structure but are stressed differently. The words must be in this language and according to the question, those four given words are all that one would need to come up with these words. Can someone help me see what I am missing?
Guest   Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:52 pm GMT
Sorry, forgot to mention that for piganIfa, the stress is on the I.
ron   Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:58 am GMT
amazing
novie   Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:09 am GMT
Hello to everyone.....i just want to know and learn something about the phonetics symbols of different words and how those words to be transcribe in its way of putting equivalent symbols to its word.I myself getting hard enough to transcribe the different words,so as a student please help me to overcome this...send me some examples of transcription words...Thank you very much....char.....