Syllables in: fairy, ferry, and very

DX   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:51 pm GMT
A typo:

"And again same people say the schwa is similar to [V]"

"same" should be "some".

And as for the difference between [@`] and [3:r], the latter is of course also longer.
Mike   Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:34 pm GMT
<<there are a few cases like "breath" [br\ET] versus "breadth" [br\E:T] and "with" [wIT] versus "width" [wI:T] which could be potentially taken as true (if marginal) minimal pairs for vowel length phonemicity.>>

What about the following pairs:

us - /V:z/

buzz - /bVz/

Don't they show a phonemic vowel length contrast? If so, isn't vowel length phonemic?
Travis   Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:31 pm GMT
"us" /@s/ versus "buzz" /b@z/ doesn't work as a near-minimal pair for me because even though they are generally [Vs] versus [bV:s], word-final devoicing is commonly disabled in my dialect if a word or morpheme is followed by another word or morpheme which starts with a vowel, or even some other sonorant. For instance, "buzzing" is ["bV:zI~:N] not ["bV:sI~:N] and "buzz in" is generally ["bV:z"I~:n] not ["bV:s"I~:n], while "us and" is ["Vs"E{~:n(d_0)] not ["Vz"E{~:n(d_0)] in my dialect (meaning that this isn't simply intervocalic voicing at work).
mariem   Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:59 pm GMT
i don t speak english well so i want to know if you can send me a lesson about the difference between consonant and vowels.my mail is: sydneybibouh@hotmail.com. thank you please answer me i need this information for my studies