Race, US: class, UK

Geoff   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:02 pm GMT
<Homosexuals often speak in a different way to heterosexuals.>

<What utter nonsense!>

Ooh get her!
Franco   Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:06 am GMT
<<What utter nonsense!>>

You are the definition of nonsense. Haven't you ever seen a show like "queer eye for the straight guy" or "americas models"? They have lots of gay people on them. I know many gays aswell in real life and all of them are clearly recognisable as gay from the way they talk.
Uriel   Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:41 am GMT
I get the feeling from various conversations that the stereotypical "flaming" gay speech style -- which DOES exist in the US, and those of us who are American have all heard it at one time or another -- is much less common in other countries. So maybe Damian has a point when he scoffs, "Whatever that is!" -- perhaps it's not so common in Scotland or England

(Whereas the rest of us are going, "Dude -- rent To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar, and you'll know exactly what we're talking about!")
Guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:17 am GMT
There must a Carson (from Queer Eye) type accent just about everywhere.
M56   Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:21 am GMT
<You are the definition of nonsense. Haven't you ever seen a show like "queer eye for the straight guy" or "americas models"? They have lots of gay people on them. I know many gays aswell in real life and all of them are clearly recognisable as gay from the way they talk. >

That would be A PORTION of the gay poulation, wouldn't it?

Next you'll be telling us that all black people speak as rappers do. LOL!
Guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:01 pm GMT
I don't know about rappers, but generally most lower-class Blacks are identifiable by the way they speak.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:09 pm GMT
***I know many gays aswell in real life and all of them are clearly recognisable as gay from the way they talk***

What blethers you speak, as we say in Scotland! I don't know where you live, but wherever it is I wouldn't care to live there myself if what you say is true - which I doubt very much. I'm sorry to contradict you but what you say really is nonsense (the meaning of blethers).

There are plenty of massive hunks of physical masculinity with strong homosexual tendencies - indeed, there are gay Rugby teams in the UK who can knock the hell out of their straight opponents in their various leagues. I personally know of three such guys myself (and a couple more who list Rugby and other macho games as part of their lesisure time activities) - here in a city where Rugby is almost a religion.

If all these guys spoke as you insist all gay men do, then take it from me they wouldn't last ten seconds in the game, let alone in the changing rooms and communal hot baths and showers rooms. I wouldn't fancy your chances of survival if you ever told them to their faces what you've told us in this Forum. :-)

URIEL: Aye, I do speak from a Scotland/England perspective. Why did you leave out Wales, btw? Poor little Wales..... :-) You do have a point though - of course there are camp/effeminate gay men, and they do exist here as well, of course they do. It is that sort of guy which non gay people choose to see as the stereotype of all gay men. That is patently untrue, as I have just indicated. I'm sure that there are guys where you live whom you would never in a trillion years suspect of being gay. Why is it not uncommon for a married woman to find out, after years of marriage, that her husband has irresistible urges to bat for the other side? I've met American guys with deep, very masculine voices and macho style bearing - if I had met them in any location other than a gay bar I would never have guessed either! If they ALL spoke as accused above then it would all be so easy peasy lemon squeezy, wouldn't it? Best regards, btw!

Cheers for now!
Franco   Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:55 pm GMT
Did I mention Rugby? Or masculinity for that matter? No, I mentioned how they speak. Therefore, you lose by default. Rugby is a gay mans sport anyway, so whats the beef.
Guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:37 pm GMT
But a lot of openly gay men do have that certain way of speaking. Maybe for the purpose of playing it up... showing it off. Closet ones aren't going to do that.
Guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:41 pm GMT
Closet, as in covert.
Uriel   Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:57 pm GMT
True, Damian, I have met gay men of both varieties -- the over-the-top camp and the quietly masculine. For obvious reasons, it's the former that stand out and capture the public consciousness, while the latter are far more unobtrusive and go unnoticed and unremarked upon.

I don't know how many of the latter variety live the double life that you mention, since most of them try to keep it pretty on the low, but I have met an inordinate number of the former who, despite their present state, have children and ex-wives -- so the knife cuts both ways, sometimes!
Pash   Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:09 am GMT
<But a lot of openly gay men do have that certain way of speaking.>

Note the difference between suggesting "he speaks like a gay person" and "he speaks like some gay people". Use quantifiers if you want to be precise.
M56   Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:10 am GMT
<True, Damian, I have met gay men of both varieties -- the over-the-top camp and the quietly masculine. >

It's a shame you haven't met any of the ones "in-between".
M56   Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:13 am GMT
<Rugby is a gay mans sport anyway, so whats the beef. >

I love, Rugby, so my wife is going to be shocked that I am, from today, according to you, Gay.

LOL!
M56   Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:16 am GMT
So does one have to have a "gay way of speaking" in order to get compensation in this case?

Spain offering gay abuse compensation?

"The Independent newspaper has reported that the Spanish government may soon offer compensation to gay men who have been physically abused in the past on the basis of their sexuality.

Antoni Ruiz was the first of what could be many men who could receive the compensation.

Ruiz was imprisoned after coming out, spending three months in jail. "I spent three months in prison." "I was raped there and in the police cells and psychologically tortured by both the guards and the prison doctor."

Gay men were sent to jail while Spain was under the dictatorship of Francisco Franco.

The payout, which is currently being reviewed, could be as much as a one off payment of USD$16,000, as well as a monthly pension.

Ruiz reminded the community during his interview that "this is not just about economic compensation but remembering homosexuals who suffered under unjust and dictatorial laws."

http://www.generationq.net/articles/Spain-offering-gay-abuse-compensation-00001.html