How to shoot this ambiguity?

Fernandes   Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:22 am GMT
There is such an entry in one oxford dictionary reading "Labrado, a coastal region of eastern Canada, forming the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland and Laborado."
To me, the ambiguity lies in this part "forming the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland and Laborado". I mean: what does "the mainland part of" exactly refer to? The mainland part of {the province of Newfoundland and Laborado}? or {the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland} and Laborado? To any one who knows little about Canadian geography, this entry presents puzzling information. What do u think?
Lazar   Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 am GMT
First of all, it's "Labrador", not "Labrado".

<<To any one who knows little about Canadian geography, this entry presents puzzling information. What do u think?>>

I disagree. I don't think the sentence in question is ambiguous; it means "the mainland part of {the province of Newfoundland and Labrador}." The second interpretation that you listed doesn't make logical sense. I think it's clear from the sentence, even if you knew nothing of Canadian geography beforehand, that {Newfoundland and Labrador} together would have to be a province.
Geoff_One   Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:48 am GMT
I read in Wikipedia that this Canadian province was formerly known as Newfoundland, but is now known as "Newfoundland and Labrador". It is still colloquially known as Newfoundland.