I have Questions for Americans!!!

Cruise Meatsile   Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:23 am GMT
Tom Cruise is a closet Liberace.
Travis   Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:08 am GMT
>>I'm Canadian, and I know that anti-Americanism is very popular here. Sure, there are things about American culture, politics, etc. that I don't like (lots of them in fact), but just making fun of the US is the easy way out. Realistically, Canada, Europe, Britain, etc. have very similar cultures to the US, and many of the things you hate about them are just parts of your culture that you want to blame on somone else. As for Americans being fat, yes, many of them are; but so are many Brits, Germans, etc. If you're looking to make fun of people for being fat, Nauru has a 90% obesity rate.<<

Speaking of Canada, I do have to say that I find the views of the US there rather funny, as in practice it seems that the US and English-speaking Canada really have a relationship akin to, say, Germany and Austria, that is, one overarching culture in two states. Most of the supposed differences between the US and English-speaking Canada seem be a matter of political nationalism than actual real differences (on the part of Canada to try to differentiate themselves from the US so as to help maintain political independence from the US through cultural means, and on the part of the US to denounce any aspects of Canada which are less right-wing than the US).

For instance, Canadians often speak of Canada as a "cultural mosaic" in opposition to the American "melting pot", and yet in reality there does not appear to be any practical difference between the two; as for the case of Quebec, such is really more a matter of "two nations in one state" than a "cultural mosaic". Similarly, when one speaks of Canada as being "social democratic", if one excludes Quebec, one is left with a far more right-wing nation in reality, in particular thanks to the western provinces.

As for the criticisms that are more legitimately levelled against the US, such is more a matter of the US government and political culture, which is very right-wing and hegemonic in nature, than the US at a cultural level, which really cannot be significantly distinguished from English-speaking Canada (not that there are not differences, but rather that the cultural differences within the US itself are greater than those between each side of the US-Canada border, excepting Quebec). Also, very many Americans themselves have no better a view of such, and thus one cannot criticize the American people as such with respect to it (many individuals seem to not make the differentiation between "people" and "state" for whatever reason here).
Libelle to Travis   Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
Travis,

You are so right -- I live about 20 minutes from the Canadian border and so I deal with them all the time. You hit the nail right on the head.

I like the Québecois people very much -- they are warm and friendly and down-to-earth. I can understand why they want(ed) to secede from Anglo-Canada, because their culture truly is VERY different from the rest of the country (I live near both Ontario and Quebec provinces). I can also understand why the rest of Canada was so intent on keeping Québec, though, because Montréal has historically been the most important city in Canada population-wise and otherwise.

I do very much agree with your comparison of Austra & Germany to Canada & the U.S.

Libelle
Josh Lalonde   Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:23 pm GMT
(Don't tell any Canadians I said this, cause they'll think I'm a traitor!)
Travis, you're right: the differences between the US and Canada are small, and I think they're shrinking. While early in the 20th century, even Canadians born here thought of themselves as 'overseas British', with the adoption of the Canadian flag in the '60s, the repatriation of the constitution in 1982, etc. this British identity has been lost, and there is really not much Canadian identity to replace it. I do think that Canada as a whole tends to be rather more left-leaning than the US, though. The Democratic Party, mocked as 'liberal' in the US, would certain sit to the right of Canada's Liberal Party. Canada's public healthcare system has been described as 'communist' by American political commentators. There is also much less of an influence from the 'religious right' here (no public schools teach 'Intelligent Design' as a real alternative to evolution, as far as I know; gay marriage and gun control have caused far less of a debate). As a whole though, I think when Canadians criticize the US (not just a particular American policy) they are really criticizing elements of Canadian culture that they don't like.
As for Quebec, I'm a little divided on the issue. I'm part French Canadian, but I'm anglophone and culturally English Canadian. In theory, I recognize the right to self-determination for Quebec, but in practice I would be sad to see it go. (Not to mention the issue of whether Quebec really would be better off outside Canada.) I would agree with you that Montreal is Canada's most important city too, though Torontonians probably think otherwise. (I'm biased on this one though, because my mother is from there.)
I think that Canada is probably closest to New England culturally (makes sense). Other areas have different social/cultural values that aren't totally shared with Canada. (Though as you said, more so in the West).
Travis   Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
>>(Don't tell any Canadians I said this, cause they'll think I'm a traitor!)
Travis, you're right: the differences between the US and Canada are small, and I think they're shrinking. While early in the 20th century, even Canadians born here thought of themselves as 'overseas British', with the adoption of the Canadian flag in the '60s, the repatriation of the constitution in 1982, etc. this British identity has been lost, and there is really not much Canadian identity to replace it. I do think that Canada as a whole tends to be rather more left-leaning than the US, though. The Democratic Party, mocked as 'liberal' in the US, would certain sit to the right of Canada's Liberal Party. Canada's public healthcare system has been described as 'communist' by American political commentators. There is also much less of an influence from the 'religious right' here (no public schools teach 'Intelligent Design' as a real alternative to evolution, as far as I know; gay marriage and gun control have caused far less of a debate).<<

Well, yes, Canada is to the left of the US overall, and yes, the Democratic Party (which I myself loathe for being too right-wing) is to the right of the Liberal Party. At the same time, I think people easily forget that such is largely due to Quebec and Ontario, and that western Canada is much closer to the US politically and socially (can we say Alberta?). If one is speaking just about English-speaking Canada, that excludes Quebec (which is probably the most left-wing province in Canada by far) from the outset, resulting in such being to the right of Canada as a whole.

>>As a whole though, I think when Canadians criticize the US (not just a particular American policy) they are really criticizing elements of Canadian culture that they don't like.<<

Yes, especially as English-speaking Canada does not have all that much cultural differentiation from the US, so it would probably be easy to criticize aspects of such using the US as a proxy for Canada.

>>As for Quebec, I'm a little divided on the issue. I'm part French Canadian, but I'm anglophone and culturally English Canadian. In theory, I recognize the right to self-determination for Quebec, but in practice I would be sad to see it go. (Not to mention the issue of whether Quebec really would be better off outside Canada.) I would agree with you that Montreal is Canada's most important city too, though Torontonians probably think otherwise. (I'm biased on this one though, because my mother is from there.)<<

I myself strongly support the protection of Quebecois culture and the French language. At the same time, I do not necessarily support Quebecois political nationalism in and of itself as such simply due to opposing nationalism in itself. That said, though, that is just the political aspect of nationalism proper, as I am quite supportive of the cultural aspects of Quebecois nationalism. As for Canada as a whole, one must remember that Canada without Quebec would lose much of that really differentiating it as a whole from the US and one would increase the influence of the more right-wing parts of Canada such as Alberta.

>>I think that Canada is probably closest to New England culturally (makes sense). Other areas have different social/cultural values that aren't totally shared with Canada. (Though as you said, more so in the West).<<

Such makes sense, considering the history of Canada and New England and the closer historical ties. While Ontario and Saskatchewan come into close proximity with the Midwest, the Midwest has a lot of influences in it (German, Scandinavian, other groups on a more local basis such as Poles, Italians, Finns, etc.) which are largely absent from Canada combined with having little contact later on with New England or the UK even though it did have early settlement from New England.
Skippy   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:03 am GMT
lol eloquent in its brevity...
a.p.a.m.   Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:23 pm GMT
Outside of language, Canada and the US have very little in common. Canadians have a great deal of animosity towards the US. It's understandable.
Franco   Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:02 pm GMT
English speaking Canadians are very similar to Americans. They are just trying to make excuses but in reality their excuses are just nonsense. They are always quick to say "No no no I'm not American, I'm Canadian" as though this is to make us think better of them. Most of the time it's not even true. The silly people in this world!
Travis   Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:06 am GMT
>>Outside of language, Canada and the US have very little in common. Canadians have a great deal of animosity towards the US. It's understandable.<<

I would beg to differ. While English-speaking Canadians may say that they differ greatly from Americans, it really is because they are actually very much like Americans and thus must accentuate any differences that they have with them due to the reputation of Americans in general (even though such is due to the US government and corporations rather than the American people in reality and people just do not see the difference between the two).

>>English speaking Canadians are very similar to Americans. They are just trying to make excuses but in reality their excuses are just nonsense. They are always quick to say "No no no I'm not American, I'm Canadian" as though this is to make us think better of them. Most of the time it's not even true. The silly people in this world!<<

See my words above.
funnyboi   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:24 am GMT
I heard the "American accent" comes from the midwest, with the two coasts offering their own versions.

For culture, anywhere outside of the Bay Area or So. Cal seems so different to me (California native) So naturally my home seems typical "American"

However I must say, most of the world may view Amerian language to sound like a Californian accent, or the lifestyle to resemble that out of LA simply because that is where all of our media and movies come from. Unless you've been to the US, what other sources for this info are there?
Ridalin Rocky Bag-o-Ratsh   Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:57 am GMT
New Jersey is the epitome Standard American vernacular language and culture.
Andrew   Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:20 am GMT
I think the typical American accent (on the news and stuff...) would probley be somewhere in Boulder Colorado! lol I have always thought that.
K. T.   Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:20 am GMT
I live in the "midsouth"...I think a midwestern accent from Ohio or Illinois
(not Chicago, though) is close to standard. I learned to speak in California and was told in Ohio that I have an accent (LOL)...I think I have no accent (except when I modify my speech to fit in here.)