Pronouncing the years 2021 through 2029

Guest   Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:45 pm GMT
>>When you're saying "two thousand and seven", you are really saying
$2000.07 (the AND denoting a decimal point). <<

If I know you're referring to money, I would always take "two thousand and seven" to mean $2007. The AND could never be interpreted as a decimal point.
SpaceFlight   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:48 am GMT
<<If I know you're referring to money, I would always take "two thousand and seven" to mean $2007. The AND could never be interpreted as a decimal point.>>

Indeed. We use "point" for decimals, not "and". I pronounce the current year as "two thousand and seven". For some reason, decades ago, US math teachers decided the using "and" in numbers like "2007" was "incorrect" as "and signifies a decimal point". Total nonsense.
Travis   Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:08 am GMT
>>Indeed. We use "point" for decimals, not "and". I pronounce the current year as "two thousand and seven". For some reason, decades ago, US math teachers decided the using "and" in numbers like "2007" was "incorrect" as "and signifies a decimal point". Total nonsense.<<

Same here; furthermore, the use of "and" in numbers like "2007" is mandatory here if one is not listing their individual digits.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 pm GMT
Today is June the twentieth Twenty -O-Seven
I will reach retirement age on April the seventh twenty forty seven
During last night's severe thunderstorm sixty eight point four millimetres of rain fell in one hour forty five minutes
My sandwiches at lunchtime cost me three pounds fifty six
I paid ninety four point eight pence for a litre of petrol this morning

The time right now if fifteen forty three hours
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:45 pm GMT
if=is