For the "911" terrorist attack, do u say nine one

Lazar   Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:09 am GMT
Josh Lalonde: While we're on the subject of dates, how are dates most commonly written and spoken in Canadian English?
Pub Lunch   Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:31 am GMT
<<Why is your name "Pub Lunch", just out of curiosity?>>

Hello Uriel, he he he, to be honest it is a nickname I have had for a fair few years now. In Britain a pub lunch is a large meal you have down the 'boozer' accompanied by a few of Britain’s 'finest' (which is a couple of pints of European Lager). It is usually a greasy dish and can be equated with lets' say 'large males'. As a kid I was a tad chubby and kids being kids bestowed this lovely name upon me. It has stuck ever since. It actually is quite a common name. Most people in my area know a 'pub lunch'. I don't really know why I use it on the net, but then no-one seems to use their real name, do they??

<<How ironic that the date '9/11' also refers to the American 911.>>

I thought exactly the same thing. It had occured to me that the terrorists knew the significance of 911 being the number you phone in the US for help and did it on this date for that reason. They knew this number would be dialled frequently that day. I am not sure if that is the case but it is odd all the same.
Uriel   Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:32 am GMT
<<In Britain a pub lunch is a large meal you have down the 'boozer' accompanied by a few of Britain’s 'finest' (which is a couple of pints of European Lager). It is usually a greasy dish and can be equated with lets' say 'large males'. As a kid I was a tad chubby and kids being kids bestowed this lovely name upon me. It has stuck ever since. It actually is quite a common name. Most people in my area know a 'pub lunch'.>>

That's a new one on me. Interesting!

I don't really know why I use it on the net, but then no-one seems to use their real name, do they??

I almost did, but then my real name sounds just as made-up as "Uriel" -- people probably would have assumed it was a nickname anyway.

<<It had occured to me that the terrorists knew the significance of 911 being the number you phone in the US for help and did it on this date for that reason. They knew this number would be dialled frequently that day. I am not sure if that is the case but it is odd all the same.>>

I suspect it had nothing to do with the emergency number, and more to do with which days all the perpetrators could coordinate their flights. In other words, just a coincidence.
Pub Lunch   Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:20 am GMT
<<That's a new one on me. Interesting!>>

The name or the actual lunch?? The lunch is a British (maybe English) working class staple, especially on a Sunday when no-one can be bothered to cook. It is probably dying out as it goes. Certainly in the cities, pubs are being replaced by national chain mock/fake pubs that basically serve fast food. Out in the country towns and villages is where you will still find the traditional pubs and the food will be as good as home cooked (probably better in my case). Erm, I think I have gone on about pub lunches for long enough...

<<I suspect it had nothing to do with the emergency number, and more to do with which days all the perpetrators could coordinate their flights. In other words, just a coincidence.>>

I think you are on the money with that one.

There was a bomb attack that was to be carried out on the 24th July '05 which was foiled as it actually happened (it is going through the courts now - I'll be interested in the charge. Surely these evil people must get jailed for life?? Just because the attack was foiled and no-one died is surely neither here nor there?? the intent was there and just because it did not happen because the bombs turned out to be faulty and then their suspicious behaviour alerted an already alerted public due to the 7th July bombings 2 weeks earlier, should make no difference). Anyway that date translates in Britain as 24/7. Many reckon it was a message that we should all be living in fear week in week out or ''24/7'.
Probably just a coincidence though.
Uriel   Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:15 am GMT
Yeah -- I have my doubts that these shorthand terms would really resonate much with those causing these little problems.

The name was what I was referring to as a new one on me. I have actually eaten British pub food -- and it's pretty much the same sort of food you would get in a bar and grill here -- with the exception of lamb. We aren't big on lamb. But even the smothered chicken was the same -- I was surprised!
Devin   Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:56 am GMT
In Canada we say nine eleven, I have never heard of that day being called nine one one, I only know that because that is what we dial for police. And also we say it that way because we write our dates as follow september 11th, 2001