Which is correct?

BeeGee   Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:59 pm GMT
Which should this be...lots or a lot...Since when is it proper English to use "Get lots of English sentences into your head". This is in the second paragraph of the section, How can you avoid mistakes. It is on the webpage that is titled "Learn English without mistakes"
Without a doubt, I will not be recommending this website to any persons wanting to learn English. What are your thoughts....
Buddhaheart   Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 am GMT
I consider “lots” informal. I personally use it in conversation & informal writings. You seems to take the position that “lots” should be outlawed altogether!?

Let me perhaps quote some authorities on this for you and others to consider:

1. “Often, lots. a great many or a great deal: a lot of books; lots of money.”
2. “Often, lots. a great deal; greatly: Thanks a lot for the ride. I care lots about my family.”
3. “lots. noun. a large number or amount; "made lots of new friends"; "she amassed a mountain of newspapers [syn: tons]”
4. “lots. noun plural. a large quantity or number. Example: lots of people; She had lots and lots of food left over from the party.”
5. “noun. INFORMAL. A lot of or lots of means a large amount or number of something: I saved a lot of money with those coupons. They hope to have lots of children.”
6. “Lots. n. Informal. A large number or amount: He has lots of money; There were lots of people.”7. “Lots. Adv. Informal. much. A large number or amount: He has lots of money; There were lots of people”
8. “Lots meaning “a lot” is informal and is generally avoided in written English.”
9. “ lots. Function: adverb Etymology: plural of 1lot Date: 1891: much <feeling lots better> ”
10. “Lots. Informal A large extent, amount, or number. Often used in the plural: is in a lot of trouble; has lots of friends. Used adverbially with a or in the plural to mean "to a great degree or extent" or "frequently": felt a lot better; ran lots faster; doesn't go out a whole lot; has seen her
lots lately.”