Are minor Romance Languages in danger of extinction?

a.p.a.m.   Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:20 pm GMT
Not all. Catalan and Gallego have strong support. But, what about other minor Rom. Languages? There's a Latin based language in Switzerland called Rhaeto-Romansh. There's another language in Northeastern Italy called "Friulian". Will these languages be around for years to come?
Hegemonie   Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:49 pm GMT
In Italy and Spain all the minor languages will floorish
In France there is only french prevailing
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:08 pm GMT
Sardinian is most likely to survive. Catalan is most likely to surivive.

My 2 cents on this.
suomalainen   Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
All minority languages in France are threatened...
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:58 am GMT
Catalan will grow. viva el barça
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
Brennus,

Dalamtian was similar to Spanish? In what way?
ROMANUS   Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:32 pm GMT
it's Dalmatian
And it is an romance dialect
Compare

http://www.answers.com/topic/dalmatian-language

ITALY and ROMANIA have historical rights in the adriatic coasts
and the whole Balkans

Compare Dalmatian Italian Istro-Romanian Romanian
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:45 pm GMT
I suppose the similarities lie withing the diphthongs, articles, verbs and certain nouns that are similar to Spanish.

For instance>
nuester = nuestro
el naun to = tu nombre / el tuo nomre {14th-century Spanish}
pun = pan
mal = mal

etc.
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
Brennus,

Thank you. I think the diphthongs that Dalmatian had and obviously that Spanish has stem from Archaic-latin influence. Like you have mentioned,
"As provinces, Spain and Illyria were semi-isolated and not part of the axis of continually evolving Vulgar Latin which ran along a line from northern Gaul to Italy, mainly central Italy." Although, I don't think it's a vulgar-latin attribute, but, more of a old-latin quality. What do you think?

For example:

Archaic-latin:
Duenos mēd fēced en mānōm einom duenōi, nē mēd malo(s).

Classical-latin
Bonus me fecit inmanom einom bono, ne me malus.

Spanish:
Lo bueno me hizo por el propósito de bueno, el mal(o) no me tomará.

Italian:
Lo buono mi fece per il proposito di buono, il male non mi porterò.

Source>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duenos_Inscription
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:02 pm GMT
Hegemonie, I tend to agree with you. I see minor Romance Languages in Spain and Italy living on , while in France, the strength of French, and the French nation will cause any minority language there to fade into obscurity.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:46 pm GMT
Brennus, you said that all Romance languages are in danger of extinction, (except for Portuguese), how can you justify that?
Guest   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
Brennus....how are you? Sorry but I must tell you: "Il arvore" "La settemana"....that's not italian! Expecially il arvore....this word does not exist in our language! the right term is albero (tree)...week is translated as settimana (not settemana).....bye bye
Guest   Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:51 pm GMT
Brennus
Well, it's true..italian has many regional variants; we can actually say that nobody in Italy always speak standard italian...every region has a particoular variant and some of them can be considered as different languages (e.g. Sardu in Sardinia or Sicilian in Sicily but also Friulan in north-east regions) and often is very very hard for example for a guy from Milan to understand what a Sicilian is sayng and vice-versa....of course in italian school the standard italian is the official language and the same on TV or at the cinema or at the radio so as in newspaper etc....
Sicilian is my regional variant and is a very very old language rich of history and it was the official language in Sicily until 1861 (The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies)....it is rich of latin elements but not only: it is very very rich of elements from spanish, arabic, greek, normann-french, catalan, german, provencal but also from preistoric indoeuropean and other extingued languages too.