What other French variants appeal to you most?

Speaker   Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:26 am GMT
Hello everybody!

I open this thread because I wanted to express my opinion about the French speaking world.

Aside from Metropolitan French, the French variant that caught my attention is the Swiss French. I find it easier to understand because it's slower and there are less contractions compared to other French variants. Since I'm a beginner in learning the French language, I find them as the most ideal to have a French conversation with.

Lousiana Cajun French also caught my attention. It may be archaic but it has its own beauty and in contrast with others say, it will be understood by French speakers outside Louisiana except for some local words and phrases exclusively used within the state.

Que pensez-vous? J'aime la langue Française tres beaucoup.
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:44 pm GMT
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:45 pm GMT
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
Lafayette   Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:15 am GMT
<<Yes, there are lot french variants, as créoles : french and african mixed languages: >>

This is Sam or SMITH again. The same guy who wrote that Spanish is spoken in Africa. The great French basher whoposts his messages directed anything against French.
Lafayette   Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:30 am GMT
<<Yes, there are lot french variants, as créoles : french and african mixed languages: >>

This is Sam or SMITH again. The same guy who wrote that Spanish is spoken in ANTARCTICA. The great French basher who posts his messages directed anything against French.

Just accept the fact some that you were humiliated and lost in discussion because you don't verify the information that you post and wrong analysis of every situation.
Guest   Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:20 am GMT
I prefer Swiss because it is easier to understand and the pronounciation is clearer.
Irrintzi   Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:42 pm GMT
<<France sucks.>>

Berbak handiak, ezkurrak txikiak...
Badakizu? Idia adarretik eta gizona hitzetik...

Big words... no guts.
You know? One holds the beef by the horns and the man by the good word...
Josh Lalonde   Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:53 pm GMT
I like Belgian French a lot. I used to watch the Belgian news every morning, so I learned all kinds of things about Flemish nationalism, etc. There's some interesting parallels with Canadian politics...I find Belgians tend to pronounce unstressed vowels more than the French, so it's a little easier for second-language speakers. Also, I like the words "septante" and "nonante".
Haitian Creole is pretty cool too, though you can't really call it French. Sometimes I just listen to the Haitian radio shows on the weekend and it's so frustrating, because it sounds like French, and I can hear lots of French words, but I can't tell what they're saying.
Andrew   Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:15 pm GMT
Speaker : You are lucky, because I hear that Cajun French is going through a bit of a rivival; I also hear that Swiss French is a lot more fun too.
Speaker   Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:27 pm GMT
Je suis d'accord Andrew.

Swiss French is so nice, clear, so cool, and a lot easier to understand.

Lousiana Cajun French is so sweet and colorful.

I find the terms and words that are exclusive used in those areas as pleasant and so unique.
Mireille   Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:52 pm GMT
I love the sound of French spoken in the Midi. It reminds me of my misspent youth, idly passing the day under the noon day sun, with the aroma of sea mixed with lavendar and savory tapenade and the sound of cicadas singing in the background.
Andrew   Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:50 pm GMT
I love how Cajun French has such a twist to it! It's a mixture of France, Spain and the Deep South and the Carribean all mixed in.
Pauline   Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
I agree with Josh lalonde : I like belgian french!!!! it's very easy and clear!!! (it's my mother tongue LOL!!!!!!!!!)

Probably I would like Cajun french as well (after I've read your description of it, andrew) but I didn't hear/listen it.