Borat and foreign languages

Ali G   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:51 pm GMT
Greetings
• Dzienkuje (sounds like "jen-koo-eeh") - "thank you" (from the Polish "Dziękuję"). Sometimes used as a greeting in the opening of the Borat segments of Da Ali G Show . Also spelled as "Chenquieh" when written by Borat, e.g., his speech on the Kazakhstan embassy.
• Jagshamesh - "how are you?" (from the Polish "Jak się masz?", the Czech "Jak se máš?"). Returning to Central Asia, the Uyghur greeting "yahşimusiz" means "are you well?", and in Uzbek it's "yaxshimisiz". Perhaps ironically, especially in light of Borat's views on Uzbeks, "yaxshi emas" means "not good/well" in Uzbek. Also a common term of greeting in several slavic languages.
• Dzien Dobre! (sounds like "jen-doh-breh") - "Good Day!" (from the Polish "Dzień dobry!"). Sometimes used by Borat in place of "Dzienkuje". It is also the greeting of Baron Cohen's Borat prototype character Kristo, as well as the greeting used by Borat as he opens the segment in his movie where he is about to meet Pamela.

Interjections
• Tishe - from Russian "тише" meaning "be quiet" or "stop it", depending on the tone on which it is used.
• Wa-wa-wee-wa - an Israeli exclamation equivalent to "wow", though commonly associated with vulgarity; it was invented by a popular Israeli comedian, Dov Glickman, on a variety TV show "Zehu Ze".[4] Glickman has since threatened to sue Baron-Cohen for his appropriation of the phrase.[5]

Sexual terminology
• Khram - male genitalia. (Probably from the Russian slang word "хрен" ["khrien"], of the same meaning). Used to refer to the scrotum or testicles, as well as the penis. Notice that "khram" ("храм" in russian, bulgarian, serb, ukrainian, "chrám" in czech, slovak, "chram" in polish and "hram" in croatian) means temple, church, and is seen as something sacred. In a promotional segment for his movie on Comedy Central, Borat uses the term bishkek (a name of the capital of Kyrgyzstan) to describe the same thing, referring to his "family photos" of his son Hooeylewis.
• Vazyïn - vagina, from the Romanian word vagin.
• Hand Party/Relief/Dirty - masturbation.
• Back Pussy - rectum
• Anoos - anus
• Mouth Party/Sex in Mouth - oral sex.
• Sexy Time - sexual intercourse.
• Liquid/Romance Explosion, Sexy Time Explosion, Happy Ending - ejaculation.
• Babraboosh - A compound of two words referring to pubic hair and oral sex. It also sounds like "Barbara Bush", who appears in the film in a portrait and Borat mistakes her for a man.
• Pubis - pubic hai

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borat
Before Kazakhstan,Borat had developed Albanian TV reporter Kristo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lATwlXtEbQw
and made some remarks about the Albanian language

<Can't Kazakhs laugh with the world and forget that the world laughs at them? In a sense, their outrage only makes things worse.
But pull the noose of such outrage a little tighter. I was talking the other day - about press freedom again - to a group of five young Albanian journalists. They were clever, sympathetic and effortlessly bilingual. They were also pretty sore about AA Gill.
You may remember the Gill article in question - from a Sunday Times supplement in July. He called Albanians "short and ferret-faced, with the unisex, slightly bowed legs of Shetland ponies" and "surprisingly fair skins". He called Albania "a Ruritania of brigands and vendettas" where, out of four million people, one million live abroad "and what they do is mostly illegal", like running "the Asda of mayhem" for covert arms trading. He called the Albanian language "a ready-made code for criminals".>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1940270,00.html

Language
Let's start with the man himself. Borat is not a Kazakh name (though there is a name Bolat). No one in Kazakhstan greets you with "Jagzhemash," which is most likely gibberish or mangled Polish. The official language in Kazakhstan is, not surprisingly, Kazakh, although Russian is widely spoken. Among the country's large ethnic Russian population, Russian is the only language they speak. And, oh yes, khrum is not the word for testicles, in either Russian or Kazakh.

Appearance
Ethnic Kazakhs are related to the Mongols, and are direct descendants of the most famous Mongol, Genghis Khan. Kazakhs look Asian. Those in Borat's home village, however, look as if they are Eastern European. This can probably be explained by the fact that they are Eastern European. The opening scene was filmed in a village in Romania, not Kazakhstan.

<The Real Kazakhstan>

What does Borat get right and wrong about his native land?
http://www.slate.com/id/2152789/
Guest   Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:17 am GMT
Борат rulezzzzz

languages are the best tool for a comedian to express his talent
Borat   Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:47 am GMT
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:05 pm GMT
Borat, close relatives of Franco and Sorin. Except, Borat has a lot less hair.
Franco   Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:55 am GMT
Hey, a.p.a.m don't try to get frisky with me! I see through your outer crust and into the dark depth of your inner soul. The inner truth.

Why do you think I have more hair than Borat? Borat has more hair on his wonker than I have on my whole body.
a.p.a.m.   Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:12 pm GMT
The dark depth of my inner soul? You better believe it. Everybody I know thinks I'm extremely cynical. I like it that way.