"grey" and "gray" in the United States.

Richard   Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
Question for Americans:

How do you spell "grey/gray"? Do you use the spelling with "ey" or "ay"?
SPLIT   Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:25 pm GMT
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300,000 for gray site:us.
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,170,000 for grey site:us.
Uriel   Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:05 am GMT
You can spell it either way in the US. I usually go with gray, but even I occasionally catch myself using the E.

Earl Grey tea is always spelled with the E, though, since it's somebody's name.
Skippy   Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:49 am GMT
Typically British folks spell with an "e" and the Americans spell with an "a." I, however, once again Britisize my spelling to "grey." It looks better to me (so does colour, humour, etc.)
Keyona in the U.S.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:26 pm GMT
GRAY was the encouraged spelling in my school and in the dictionary feature of computer word programs I've used.

GREY is the spelling for the horse color (example: dapple grey) and, in my experience, GREY is often a proper name as well.
Adam   Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:56 pm GMT
"Earl Grey tea is always spelled with the E, though, since it's somebody's name"

And because Earl Grey tea is British.

It was named after Charles Grey who was British Prime Minister between 1830 and 1834.

Earl Grey tea is a tea blend with a distinctive flavour and aroma derived from the addition of oil extracted from the rind of the bergamot orange, a fragrant citrus fruit.

Traditionally the term "Earl Grey" was applied only to black tea; however, today the term is also applied to both green and white teas that contain oil of bergamot.

The Earl Grey blend is named after the 2nd Earl Grey, British Prime Minister in the 1830s, who reputedly received a gift, probably a diplomatic perquisite, of tea flavoured with bergamot oil. The legend usually involves a grateful Chinese mandarin whose son was rescued from drowning by one of Lord Grey's men, although this blend of tea was first made from fermented black Indian and "Ceylonese" (Sri Lankan) teas. As green tea is much more popular in China than black tea, it seems somewhat unlikely that they would have had a recipe for what we now call Earl Grey to bestow on visitors, though over the years many other varieties of tea have been used. In addition, Lord Grey never set foot in China. Another version of the legend has the son of an Indian raja being rescued from a tiger by one of Grey's servants.

The tea proved so popular in the Prime Minister's drawing room that his tea merchants, Twinings in the Strand, were given a sample and asked to come up with a close match. Twinings sold the first "Earl Grey's tea" in the British market. Twinings Earl Grey blend includes China tea, Indian Darjeeling, Ceylon, and a hint of Lapsang souchong, a strong, "smoky" black tea. Although it is often served black (without milk), it can be taken with a little milk (which lightens the colour of the drink to a greyish tone).

Jacksons of Piccadilly claim that it was they who originated Earl Grey's Tea, Lord Grey having given the recipe to Robert Jackson & Co. partner George Charlton in 1830; according to Jacksons the original recipe has been in constant production and has never left their hands. Theirs has been based on China tea since the beginning. This rivalry between the two tea brands continues despite both being owned by the same parent company today.

wikipedia.org
Keyona   Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:15 pm GMT
Thank you for sharing that information, Adam! :)
Uriel   Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:38 am GMT
Don't thank him, Keyona ... he'll keep doing it.