New Present Perfect in Africa

AL-Maghrabi,makki   Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:06 pm GMT
At first I thought that it was just a new method of teaching English language in Sudan, or a way for easing the learning process to make English grammar nearer to Sudanese learners. But when I had read some simplified notes I believed that the problem is bigger, and we can consider it as a systematic wrong, which changes the rules of English grammar in student’s minds.
You can find this mistake also in the formal curriculum; they move the “ present perfect tense’’ from the present group to the past group. They simply added “present perfect’’ and “ present perfect progressive ’’ to a new family containing past simple plus the tow other brand new guests.
You can find this in (SPINE 6) Sudan Practical Integrated National English book 6, which is taught in the third level in High Secondary schools in Sudan; the Sudanese certificate.
Chapter 1-Section 2:
Time for tenses; Past, Present, and Future:
PAST: ate, has eaten, was eating, has been eating, used to eat.
PRESENT: eat, eats, is eating.
FUTURE: will eat, is going to eat.
There is a difference between past simple and present perfect, and the Sudanese learner know that very well because the first base of English grammar is still “ The Junior ’’ and we remember the example;
I have done my homework and it is ready now.
I did my homework but the goat ate it!
You can find a different use for the past simple in American English but it is not an excuse to change our curriculum, which belong to British English.
Some notes from internet:
Use of the Present Perfect
In British English the present perfect is used to express an action that has occurred in the recent past that has an effect on the present moment. For example:
I've lost my key. Can you help me look for it?
In American English the following is also possible:
I lost my key. Can you help me look for it?
In British English the above would be considered incorrect. However, both forms are generally accepted in standard American English. Other differences involving the use of the present perfect in British English and simple past in American English include already, just and yet.
British English:
I've just had lunch
I've already seen that film
Have you finished your homework yet?
American English:
I just had lunch OR I've just had lunch
I've already seen that film OR I already saw that film.
Have your finished your homework yet? OR did you finish your homework yet?
almaghrabi_makki@yahoo.com
bling   Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:33 am GMT
why do you equate Sudan to Africa in your title?
Guest   Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 am GMT
I've neve liked or understood the second form when used to refer to two moments, the past and the Now of speaking. No matter how many Americans try to explain it away as correct in the eyes of Standard grammarI I still think it started as an error, caught on and now will not go away.

As a Brit, I'd probably answer in this way:

I've lost my key. Can you help me look for it?
Sure. Let's begin over here.

I lost my key. Can you help me look for it?
How long ago did you lose it?